What GPA is good enough to...

danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
Post on your resume? or Linkedin? Is it wise to post your GPA? Thoughts appreciated thank you! :)
I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've never had an employer ask or care about my GPA
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've found this was only required in the case of internships or if it was some form of new college graduate program. I'd leave it off and only give it to them when asked.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Hi danny069,

Posting your GPA on your resume/linkedin is only really required if you're applying for co-op/internship positions through your school. A lot of employers don't normally look at or care about your GPA. Past work experience is key. Certifications help you stand out and get that job interview with HR.

EDIT: The Grinch beat me to it! icon_twisted.gif
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I might put it on if graduated with "summa cum laude" or something like that... I didn't so I don't though.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since I went to WGU, I don't ever post it. It's equivalent to a 3.0 but don't see any reason to put that.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As everyone else has stated I think it would only be needed if it's an internship role as part of your college program. It might be beneficial perhaps in an academic role. I would say most likely unneeded otherwise. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've only been asked for my GPA twice.
    Once applying for graduate school, the other was on my application for a direct commission in the US Navy.
  • vanillagorilla3vanillagorilla3 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The only time I had my GPA on my resume was for my first IT job right out of school. I had a 3.75. Once I got my first job, I took it off and just listed my degree.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I stopped putting my GPA on my resume after I landed my first job I think.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Rather than GPA, you can post first, second and third class honors if you have them.
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I wouldn't post it unless you are asked by an employer. As most have said unless you are applying for a position and you have little previous experience most companies won't ask for your GPA.

I've been asked once by a potential employer. It was enough to graduate college but that's it. I was asked why it was so low. My response was simple and honest - "my experience and resume speak for itself, I don't do well on exams and while college provided a great deal of experience and structure in my life I didn't do well in college. My resume and experience show my work ethic, knowledge and drive to be the best employee I can be."

I was just being as honest as possible - the next day they offered me the job.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Unless it's a 4, don't mention it :)
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I never had that asked of me.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm with most of the others, never been asked.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have a high GPA, list it forever! Be proud. Otherwise, I have never been asked for my GPA either.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What do you call the man who graduated last in his class from Medical School?

"Doctor."

It's a joke, but it's only funny because it's true. Once you're out and have the credential it doesn't really matter how you got that credential unless there's specific honors associated with excelling above and beyond one's peers. Even then, you don't list the grade, you list the honor.