Options

Cisoc C3560PS Flash question

rcorbetrcorbet Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

can the cisco c3560ps switch be upgraded from 16mb to 32 mb flash or is it bulit in

thanks

Comments

• Options
    siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    I have the same switch as you, and with 16mb flash. This is not possible with older switches like these, but more advanced switches may be capable of this (e.g. 4500 series and beyond).

I wanted to flash IOS 15.x onto the switch, but settled for the latest 12.2.x version.
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    rcorbetrcorbet Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    siggnation wrote: »
    I wanted to flash IOS 15.x onto the switch, but settled for the latest 12.2.x version.

On an interesting side note, you should be able to load 15 via XModem (not supported in PuTTY) from HBOOT (ROMMON), but even at the highest BAUD rate, it takes about 45 minutes and you can't reload the switch without having to start over. I did this over 2 years ago with a 3560 that had a bad flash and it worked. With switch prices much lower than they were back then, it probably wouldn't be worth the time and effort now.

[EDIT] I cannot locate the command to do this (load IOS via XModem directly to DRAM instead of Flash) in any Cisco documentation. I'll have to give it a try on a 3560 when I get home.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It depends on the actual model of 3560. The PS only have 16 so they can't do it, but some can.

See previous discussion of the specific models.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/105168-3560-3750-my-ccnp-home-lab.html

Edit:
    Wow just realized I posted a reference to one of your posts.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    daba wrote: »
    It depends on the actual model of 3560. The PS only have 16 so they can't do it, but some can.

See previous discussion of the specific models.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/105168-3560-3750-my-ccnp-home-lab.html

Edit:
    Wow just realized I posted a reference to one of your posts.

The method I mentioned boots the IOS directly from a PC over the Console Cable (not from Flash as the Flash is too small), which is very slow as a console cable operates at Dial-Up/ISDN Speed (0.1152 Mbps or 115.2 Kbps). It is pointless except for getting a switch with a dead Flash up and working until it can be replaced. I'll try to remember to try this again sometime and post the procedure.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]