Taking Security + Nov 10, 2015

$bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
New to the forums. Been lurking for a while now. This will be my first cert, in IT (hopefully). I am buying the retake just in case because this is going to be out of pocket and I do not want to take the risk. Currently in the second round of interviews with a cyber-security company specializing in hardware-based cyber-security. I figured getting this cert would help my chances as it does say "Security + preferred" on the job description. I am new to IT/Security, not to say that I am not a "computer person", I am but recently decided I need a career change. A few colleagues and mentors have given me advice and study material as well as the potential job. I am very persistent and determined to learn. I also pick things up quickly. I am just worried about the conceptual nature of the test rather than it being strictly knowledge based.

I have been studying for about 2 months now, everyday, anywhere from 4-6 hours a day.

I used Gibson's Kindle Book, Prof Mes, CBT Nugz, examcompass, quizlet, and some random websites for quizzes.

Opinions on multi-answer questions....some of the practice tests I have taken factor in that you answered half of the question correctly, like a choose 2 answer question, and gives you 50% credit. Other practice tests just count it out right wrong if you do not choose all of the correct answers. What are your thoughts on the actual exam? Do you think they give you credit for partial correct answers?

Also, I have been seeing on here that you need a 83.3% to pass. Not sure if anyone is incorporating the 11.1% they already give you which takes it down to a passing score of 72.2%. In any case, I am hoping I get closer to the maximum 90 questions. I feel like I am going to need it.

Thanks.

Comments

• hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    Good luck, you should be more than ready based on what you've put down.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • EduardvEduardv Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When are you taking the test? Curious as to what your experience was and areas to keep an eye out for.
    This one is next up on my radar after a WGU class
  • $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    Friday, nov 10th, 2015...so tomorrow. Like i said this is new to me and i see a lot of people with experience saying "wow, that was hard" and then saying their score was like 850...so i will let you know on friday. I also bought the retake anticipating failing....not to sound negative or anything.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How did you do on the test? :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    $bvb379 wrote: »
    Friday, nov 10th, 2015...so tomorrow.
    I'm not sure where you live but tomorrow is Friday the 13, not 10 :)
    Wow, sorry guys. You are right. I am taking it on the 13th.....way too much studying in the past week. My mistake.
  • FlyingPenguinFlyingPenguin Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, sorry guys. You are right. I am taking it on the 13th.....way too much studying in the past week. My mistake.
    Good luck to you! You should be fine. :)
    Woooooo passed with a 807. A pass is a pass. LLLeettsss gooooooo. I can't wait to just sit around for a few days and enjoy myself. Thanks to everyone on the forum. I wouldn't have the slightest clue for resources if I did not find this page.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job, congrats!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • FlyingPenguinFlyingPenguin Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Woooooo passed with a 807. A pass is a pass. LLLeettsss gooooooo. I can't wait to just sit around for a few days and enjoy myself. Thanks to everyone on the forum. I wouldn't have the slightest clue for resources if I did not find this page.

Congratulations!
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
    Any tips or useful info to pass along on this?
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Eduardv wrote: »
    Any tips or useful info to pass along on this?

Go with your gut on the questions you are unsure about.....and there will be quite a few. ...(too much about your test).... To be honest I thought I failed. I am the type of person that if I don't know the answer right away, I think I got it wrong. Just my opinion/experience though. Might be different for someone else.
  • CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Now you can say that you're Security+ certified in your interviews. Let us know how it goes.