RHCE pre-requisite

gratchiegratchie Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
A couple of questions:

1.) Do I need RHCSA certification before I can take the RHCE cert?

2.) Looks like RHCE for RHEL6 is still available until March 2016 but only for "ONSITE". What does onsite mean?

I would really prefer to take the RHEL6 exam since this is what we've been using at our company an no plans to upgrade anytime soon.

thanks

-g

Comments

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    You don't need to pass the same version RHCSA to gain RHCE. So, EX200 (RHCSA) and EX300.

Onsite means they come to your business. I think it can be quite expensive unless you have 6+ people taking the test.

There are some reasonably large differences between 6 and 7, but the fundamentals are much the same. Maybe one advantage for you to get certified on 7, is that in your business you will become a "RHEL 7 expert" for when the business decides to start deploying 7.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is one requirement: If you want to get RHCE you need to pass RHCSA.
    And it's true that you don't need to have RHCSA and RHCE on RHEL7 to get RHCE 7. You can have RHCSA v6 or v7 and RHCE v7 but you CAN'T pass RHCSA v7 and RHCE v6 to get RHCE v7.
  • gratchiegratchie Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks folks. I appreciate the reply. Looks like the way to go is to move forward with RHEL 7. Although I don't see a lot of info about EX200/300 RHEL 7, possibly because it's too new. Even books are so rare... Anybody here with RHEL 7 cert yet?!
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    gratchie wrote: »
    thanks folks. I appreciate the reply. Looks like the way to go is to move forward with RHEL 7. Although I don't see a lot of info about EX200/300 RHEL 7, possibly because it's too new. Even books are so rare... Anybody here with RHEL 7 cert yet?!

I have RHCSA on RHEL7. I plan to start my RHCE "soon". There are at least 3 books:
    RHCSA & RHCE Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 - Asghar Ghori
    Red Hat RHCSA/RHCE 7 Cert Guide - van Vugt Sander
    RHCSA/RHCE Red Hat Linux Certification Study Guide: Exams Ex200 & Ex300 (7th ed) - Michael Jang - Due for release early 2016

van Vugt Sander also has training videos released through Pearson.

The Ghori book has mixed reviews, it seems ok for RHCSA but lacking in some RHCE topics. The van Vugt Sander book has much better reviews, and can also be purchased in a premium package with extra content.

The Jang book hasn't been released yet, and the publication date seems to keep getting pushed back. The Jang book was the go to for RHEL 6, so many people are waiting for the RHEL 7.

Red Hat also does courses, including a 5 day accelerated course for RHCSA and a 5 day crash course for RHCSA + RHCE. Their training is meant to be quite good for passing the exam, but the compressed nature mean you forget it quickly. Not cheap, though.

If you have lots of hands on, then it shouldn't be too challenging. It's a hands on exam, so lots of labbing until you can do it 'blindfolded'. The only help you have is the online help (man), so no recourse to Google.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM