Multiple certs

byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Has anyone studied for more than one cert at a time? How did it work out for you? I'm currently doing MCSA 2012 and Network+
CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Didn't really work out for me, I was studying for the CEH, but had to put the brakes on that, to study for the CASP. For me, I have to focus on one cert at a time. Luckily, both exams were similar so it helped me a great deal to pass the CASP.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It can be done as long as you manage your time wisely. I am currently studying for VMware, Security +, ITIL, and MTA 98-366 at the same time. will probably knock out ITIL, and MTA soon so I can just focus on VMware and the security +. but to each its own because some people like to focus on one thing and if its something that's worked for them why change it. So theres alot of rights answers for your question but if you can then go for it. All the best !
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I tried to study for two MS exams at once one time, bombed them both pretty badly.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    greg9891 wrote: »
    It can be done as long as you manage your time wisely. I am currently studying for VMware, Security +, ITIL, and MTA 98-366 at the same time. will probably knock out ITIL, and MTA soon so I can just focus on VMware and the security +. but to each its own because some people like to focus on one thing and if its something that's worked for them why change it. So theres alot of rights answers for your question but if you can then go for it. All the best !

Agreed!! We all learn in different capacities. I know for me I had to do one cert at a time. The only exception was when I did my studies for the VCP and VCP-Cloud as they were very similar and shared many concepts together.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Just like going to school... in High school and College (university) one studies several classes in a term/semester, so it is possible!

Though, I have seen folks do it and struggle. So, what is your goal? To become certified more quickly? If yes, why not simply schedule your exam series at two week intervals? Achieves the same thing....or study for 6-8 weeks and schedule all exams in a day two...to me, it's a wash except for the travel to the exam center several times.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been studying for the MCSA and the VCP at the same time. It helps because there is a bit of overlap because both certs cover virtualization. In fact, my Vmware studies saved my butt a few times on the Microsoft exams. My Microsoft study material didn't cover some virtualization stuff that my Vmware material did.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I probably can do it, but I would rather not, unless like Dakkinggamer said, they are very similar. I'm studying now for the VCP6-DTM and probably going after the CEH after that. Since they are fairly different, I'd rather just focus on the one, especially since it's being preferred by my employer.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I can only manage time for one exam at a time. With that being said...some exams build on others so I have knocked out some security exams consecutively with only some minor additional studies.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    byron66 wrote: »
    Has anyone studied for more than one cert at a time? How did it work out for you? I'm currently doing MCSA 2012 and Network+

Many times. It's not that different to university or school where you have multiple different subjects at the same time. Some certifications work well together, also.
    For instance, I did Sec+ and Net+ at the same time. When I was doing Apple, I did multiple level exams at the same time, or same level in different versions of the OS. I did Storage+ and VCP-DCV together. I'm currently doing MS 70-685 and 70-642 together.
    Sometimes, also doing one after the other with a little overlap. I did that with Sec+ and CEH, although both were revision and not "learning".

I'll probably follow CCNA Sec with ICDN2. I'll combine CASP with some other defensive security I am doing. And LPIC-2 and RHCE.

MCSA and Net+ doesn't sound like a bad combo. There's some heavier network stuff in MCSA, all that IPv6, subnetting and a bit of routing. It's not like this stuff contradicts each other :)

I've also done cert exams while studying other things. It might be a bit like working out, one day you focus on your legs, the next day on your core, the next day arms. It complements each other, as you get generally stronger (better at learning).
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    I've also done cert exams while studying other things. It might be a bit like working out, one day you focus on your legs, the next day on your core, the next day arms. It complements each other, as you get generally stronger (better at learning).

I do like the way you explained it. Great point.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+