Taking the CISM Test - A couple of questions

Nabsh07Nabsh07 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a couple of questions about strategies on how to take the test.

1. Is it recommended to answer the question on the scan-tran or write them on the question book first?

2. Should i skip the question for 2nd pass if i dont know the answer quickly?

3. How long does it usually take for people to answer a typical question? complete the test?

Comments

• TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    You have 4 hours to do the 200 questions - giving you little over a minutes for each. How long others take is irrelevant, and you should go at your own pace. If I were to say that most people take 25-30 seconds to answer a question... Would that help you? Probably not. Do some practice tests and get used to format and work out your own "groove".

How you do it is up to you :) whatever works for you best...

I'm looking to get it comfortably done in about 2.5-3 hours then the rest of the time to review.
  • DolphDolph Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went through each question once and answered them on the first pass. I probably knew about 20 questions confidently enough to immediately answer, but many others were 51/49 i.e. I had a hunch after removing two of the possible answers. It'll be very rare for you to magically remember something on a second pass. If you've done the prep your first guess/hunch will often be right - try not to doubt yourself.

I then did a check to make sure i had actually answered all 200 questions and not skipped one by mistake and left the exam hall after about 3 hrs 15 mins. i didn't review my answers as that's when you start doubting yourself and 'correcting' already correct answers.

Don't underestimate the mental fatigue of answering 200 questions in a high pressure environment. If you find yourself getting 'bored' or your mind wandering go to the toilet and have a drink (of water!) I did this a couple of times and used them as psychological rewards for getting a certain number of questions done. I got top 20% so it worked for me, but everyone is different!
  • Nabsh07Nabsh07 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is good info. I am also concerned about being able to focus for entire 4 hours. How many 200 question practice exams did you take?
  • DolphDolph Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did one 200 question practice a week before the exam. The problem though at that point is you've remembered lots of the answers and it is much quicker and stress free than the real thing.