Oracle 11g with no previous knowledge?

Snrussell09Snrussell09 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking to get the OCA 11g and was wondering how to get started. Is it feasible to go into the training path for the OCA as someone who has never programmed or had any database experience?

The course path is Intro to SQL, Admin Workship 1 and then Admin Workshop 2. From the oracle site as well as my schools site. Is this a beginner's road or should I start somewhere else first?

I'm currently working as a help desk tech about to finish up my A+.

Comments

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    SQL is easy to learn, but difficult to master. That path looks ok. My experience is that "Intro to" courses nearly always assume next to no knowledge. Hopefully you will get lots of hands on, though, which will make the rest easier.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Snrussell09Snrussell09 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response. The classes do have a lot of hands on experience. I know a person who just took them and the classes are led by oracle certified instructors and they work in labs. All of the material is straight from Oracle as well. He also said the class started at around 14 people and ended with 2-3 which is a bit daunting.
  • Sina80Sina80 Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    SQL is easy to learn, but difficult to master. That path looks ok. My experience is that "Intro to" courses nearly always assume next to no knowledge. Hopefully you will get lots of hands on, though, which will make the rest easier.

OCA Oracle 11g needs hands-on experience. IMHO you can forget pass the exam only with lab and training. The exam is challenging, even the OCA.
  • Snrussell09Snrussell09 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sina80 wrote: »
    OCA Oracle 11g needs hands-on experience. IMHO you can forget pass the exam only with lab and training. The exam is challenging, even the OCA.

That's what I have heard from a few people. My friend just passed the OCA and OCP tests with 90s+ with just those classes. Weird. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to. Im doing service desk now and want to get out of it. I was thinking about possibly doing Microsoft SQL instead of Oracle. Microsoft has a path that includes an MTA in Databases, MCSAs for SQL 2008 and 2012 and then MCSEs for Business Intelligence and Data.

The only thing I'm worried about is finding an entry level job doing this stuff.