Udemy black Friday

byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anybody taking advantage of the www.udemy.com black Friday deals?
CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+

Comments

• gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe, what course(s) do you recommend?
  • byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just purchased the Cisco CCNA (200-120): The Complete Course for $10, and a mySQL database course.which was free.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
    If a person buys the course, does the time limit for its use expire or will they always have access? This will be a huge factor for me.
  • fitzybhoyfitzybhoy Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gncsmith wrote: »
    If a person buys the course, does the time limit for its use expire or will they always have access? This will be a huge factor for me.

I bought CCNP route, switch and T-shoot yesterday for £24 total. I believe that's lifetime access, you can also download them for offline viewing
    Sweet, if that's the case, then, Yes, I'll be buying a few courses.
  • BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone used the CEH Prep course? If so, how was it?

B
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    gncsmith wrote: »

AFAIK, you have access to the course "forever". I guess Udemy could go bankrupt, or change their mind. I've bought a bunch of courses that I haven't started yet, based on this "forever" guarantee.

I think what's more likely to happen with a lot of courses is that they simply become out of date as technologies change, certifications are retired/withdrawn, exams are updated etc
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the tip! I picked up 8 free courses and 4 paid courses. If you enter "free" in the search field, you can see a list of their free courses.

Looks like the price has gone up to $11 today. Still a great deal.
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This seems like an INSANELY good deal. I'm going to pick up a couple of technologies that I've been working towards. It's worth it for the alternate point of view if nothing else! Thanks!
    icon_cheers.gif
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Burnsie wrote: »

B

Not sure which CEH one you're referring to, but I purchased this one: https://www.udemy.com/it-security-and-ethical-hacking/

I'm about a quarter of the way through it and it's been okay. Thus far it hasn't covered many new topics for me based on my experience having studied for and taken both the CISA and CISSP exams, but it looks like the more hands on demonstrations are still to come. My thought is this would be a good introduction to CEH material if you later wanted to add in some labbing and more in depth reading to supplement it and prepare you for the actual CEH exam. Another note is that this course is based on CEH v8 and I think the exam just changed over to CEH v9 so any new materials in that wouldn't be covered.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    fitzybhoy wrote: »
    I bought CCNP route, switch and T-shoot yesterday for £24 total. I believe that's lifetime access, you can also download them for offline viewing

Did you do Bryant's all in one CCNP course? I think some of route is still being refreshed, but holy crap..jumped on that one for $11 just incase I need the videos for reference in the future
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Burnsie wrote: »

B

Is it v8? Not sure if it's worth buying then since that exam is retired.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Never used them before, but I'm picking up a few. Some of these $11 courses appear to be listed for $99 and up. I don't know they are worth THAT much (maybe they are), but for $11 I can pick and choose some adjacent tracks that I have never gotten around to and go at my own pace. Thanks OP.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • zeetskeetzeetskeet Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    Never used them before, but I'm picking up a few. Some of these $11 courses appear to be listed for $99 and up. I don't know they are worth THAT much (maybe they are), but for $11 I can pick and choose some adjacent tracks that I have never gotten around to and go at my own pace. Thanks OP.

Wrong. The courses aren't that much, not nearly possible. It's a scam, they list a course for $200 and sell it for $10. Most courses over there aren't worth anything tbh, very basic introductory courses. However Chris Bryants Networking courses are well worth the money.
    "Real Programmers Count From Zero"
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got a few free ones alongside Bryant and Lazaro Diaz's CCNA courses for a bargain price. Early days but both seem decent.
    The Bryant Cisco course looked pretty good to me; I picked that one up along with a couple of AWS courses and a Python course.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • gratchiegratchie Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I once bought a course from Udemy because they are the cheapest that I can find, but then I saw this the other day

https://medium.com/@robconery/how-udemy-is-profiting-from-piracy-5638b929ffca#.xn92zf8he
    gratchie wrote: »
    I once bought a course from Udemy because they are the cheapest that I can find, but then I saw this the other day

https://medium.com/@robconery/how-udemy-is-profiting-from-piracy-5638b929ffca#.xn92zf8he

Well, that's a little concerning. I don't want to pay pirates, and I don't want courses I paid for to just "disappear" without a refund or notice.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I read the link and his language is unprofessional. If he to complain about udemy he needs to keep it clean. If content being used I understand him being unhappy.

reguarding udemy, I have purchased several classes. The capm, I am pleased as getting direct feedback from Joseph Phillips the instructor, so I did did a couple if his classes for less than $15 each. Also bought couple other classes at this price or less. IMO, so far great deals.

i also picked up several free classes.

i like udemy and am concerned about pirated content. So, will be watching, hopefully these are isolated issues.
  • Rick9Rick9 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gratchie wrote: »

Shame on udemy, I didn't expect this.
  • JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Just make sure the person teaching the course can speak understandable English.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Rick9 wrote: »
    Shame on udemy, I didn't expect this.

Udemy has poor Quality Assurance processes if any. I doubt it was their intention to post other peoples copyrighted material.
    I regret buying from these guys now. Never again.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow that is shocking.

The only consolation is that on the courses I purchased, both Laz Diaz and Chris Bryant regularly send updates and answer questions (well hopefully it is them)

I loved the idea of lifetime access as well but what is to stop them pulling the plug on courses? Hope they sort these issues out anyway for all the people caught up in these dodgy situations.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow, I had no clue they were doing that. It's going to bite them in the butt at some point. When you're hosting pirated content, it's only a matter of time before you're going to be punished. Them throwing up their hands claiming ignorance is not going to hold up.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I purchased several "discounted" courses from Udemy, some were good and some were bad, my advise is to always start the free preview to check the following:
    1: you can understand what the instructor is saying.
    2: there is no annoying loud music before every video.
    3: most importantly check if the course is a live, and that the instructor actually responds to student's questions.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I have purchased a few courses off there.

There is a python for network engineers that was good and it seems that the GNS3 academy picked it up.
    The second is a link on how to make video games and teaches you from basics to using the unreal 5 engineer that started as a kick starter that I enjoyed very much.

Otherwise there is a lot of courses that I agree are just a flat out waste of money and others I can't understand what they are saying to even do the course.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    got Chris Bryant's CCNP R&S videos, will save those for later.
  • Rick9Rick9 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've found a video about rock climbing that is available -legit!- for free on the Internet but it's paid on Udemy. Sick.
    Sounds like the safest thing to do is buy courses from known good teachers on Udemy. Infinite Skills and The Bryant Advantage, so far, are the only ones I feel confident with being legit. The rest, I have no idea. Could be some random guy trying to make a few bucks honestly, or could be some loser making money off someone else's back.