Options

Question on RIP

NydendarinNydendarin Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, i have a question on RIP that wasnt covered in the tutorial. My question is, How can i change the gateway of a router while using RIP. I know of the Default-gateway command, but i cannot use that while also using ip routing.. correct? So is there some way that i can change it's gateway while still abiding by the RIP requirements? The issue i'm having is very, very similar to the demo, but it does not work. here's a mental map of my network.

We're setting up a WAN on two Cisco 1760 routers with CSU/DSU t1 WIC cards. On one side of the room we have a router named Seattle. Seattle's Ethernet is 11.1.1.1 and it's Serial is 192.168.101.1. On the other side we have an Atlanta router, with Ethernet 192.168.0.2 and Serial 192.168.101.2. Now, For a local network, all this would work fine.. we can set the gateways of the computers to 192.168.0.2 and capow, works. But, however, we have a default gateway already at 192.168.0.1 that allows us access to a training server. Without that gateway set, we cannot access the training server, but if the workstations on the Atlanta side of the router have the gateway 192.168.0.1 then we cannot access them from seattle. I though the way to fix this would be to change the gateway of Atlanta router, to be 192.168.0.1 instead of what it is right now *right now it's set to Seattle's Serial ip address 192.168.101.1*. Am i correct in assuming setting this gateway will allow for us to speak to atlanta machines, and also the training server from seattle once we've configured RIP and all other prior settings?

If yes, then how is it i can change the gateway of atlanta on RIP. If no, then does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I tryed using Static Routing, but it would never accept the routes i gave it. Example: i tryed to established the static route 11.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 192.168.101.1 on Atlanta, and it gave me an error about the consistancy of subnet mask or address. However, that route SHOULD work.. no?

I would really really REAAALLLYY appreciate any help you guys can give me.

-Nyden

Comments

• Options
    Todd1225Todd1225 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I am no expert...but I'm gonna have a crack at this one icon_smile.gif

First, the default gateway on the Atlanta clients must be to the ethernet interface that is attached to the atlanta router.

Second, configuring a static route , which isn't necessary on the Atlanta Router, would be:

ip route 11.1.1.0 255.0.0.0 192.168.101.1
    (destination network + destination's subnet mask + next hop)

Using 11.1.1.1 is not a network it's a host address, and plus the subnet mask was for a class C network.

I would also change the ip address on Atlanta's ethernet to 192.168.0.3 so that it doesnt' match the default gateway that's being used already.

Let me know what you come up with, we'll try to figure this one out!!!
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech
  • Options
    First, the default gateway on the Atlanta clients must be to the ethernet interface that is attached to the atlanta router.

You see, that's the problom. The clients on Atlanta, have to have 192.168.0.1 as their gateway in order to get to the training server with the way it's configured. They can indeed get to us, and the network works as long as their gateway is set to Ethernet on Atlanta, but is there some way that we can set the routers' gateway to 102.168.0.1 so that the client on Atlanta can talk to Seattle and the training server? the way it's kinda of set up is that there's a computer with two nic cards in it using ICS, and when using ICS, XP defaults to 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway the people sharing the connection must connect to. Basically.. we need a solution that allows us to both talk to clients on either side of the network, and also that Gateway machine 192.168.0.1 that allows us access to the training server. Over the weekend i dont have access to the routers since they're at school, but i can remember alot about what we have congured in my head. If there are any questions you jst don't get, i can scan in a picture of our network diagram to assist.

Thanks for the help,
    -Nyd
  • Options
    sikdoggsikdogg Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I sounds like a configuration issue on one or more device(s). Can you post the config of both routers and the IPconfig of the training server and the output of SHOW CDP NEIGHBOR on both routers? Are you using a switch or hub to connect all the workstations in both Seattle and Atlanta? If a switch, please include the config.
  • Options
    Well, it seems to me that you need the workstation to hit the atlanta ethernet at address 192.168..0.1 and the same for hitting the training server. Almost like you need two different default gateways on the host.
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech
  • Options
    You shouldn't need two gateways. All the workstations on the Atlanta segment (192.168.0.x) should be able to hit the training server (192.168.0.1) with their gateways set to the router interface (192.168.0.2) and if both routers are configured properly, workstations in the Seattle segment should have no problem getting to the training server as well as rip should advertise a route for the 192.168.0.x network.

From what i gathered, there is most likely a broken config on the routers or the training server's ip configuration. This should be very straight forward networking, there's nothing complicated here. From either router, you should be able to ping any/all workstations on both networks. There should be no need for static routes either.
  • Options
    Alright guys, I'm gonna upload some files, and hope they fit. We've made some changes, well, many changes since last weekend when i first posted this and we've made good progress but just hit a brick wall. We've (seattle) been able to establish a connection with all atlanta clients and the gateway computer, but cannot reach the training server. However, the Atlanta clients have no problem getting to the training server at all. I'm including a network map that i drew, it basically outlays our LAN network, and the connection made to the training server. The training server isn't physically here so i couldn't get the config of it, and i'm not allowed in the school server room to look at it either. But i do know the IP address of the switch, and what kind it is. We're also having trouble with gaming on our network. As you can see in there, i have a few lines set up to broadcast packets so that we can see the game server, but seattle cannot see atlanta games, and atlanta can't see seattle games. The game is Counterstrike and i'm not sure exactly what type of packets it uses for their broadcast, but i though i read somewhere it uses UDP packets, so that's why you'll see that. Basically, the gateway 192.168.0.3 is a windows XP computer, with two nics using IIS instead of a router. If need be, we will be able to get another router if it means this thing will work, but i would like to get it to work without having to do such.

Okay, here come the files.

Network.jpg Our Network Map
    http://www.axp.net/cisco/Seattle_shotech.txt Router 1 ShowTech
    http://www.axp.net/cisco/Atlanta_shotech.txt Router 2 ShowTech
  • Options
    OK, I'm gonna take a stab at this...please correct me if I 'm wrong...but here it goes.

First, what are the two IP addresses on the Gateway machine, I can see the 192.168.0.3 address, what is the other one.

It seems like this would need to be a router advertising 10.133.0.0 in place of the gateway machine since the training server is on another network (10.133.0.0).

Again, I don't know how Internet Connection Sharing works so I could be very, very wrong.

Can you ping the 3com switch at 10.133.101.5, or better yet Telnet into it?
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech
  • Options
    Okay, lets go in order.

The other IP address on the first machine with IIS is dynamic, it is running on DHCP so it wouldent matter what it is.. as long as he has the subnet mask set right, which he does, then that shouldent matter.

Well, i do have a route running that anything for 10.0.0.0 gets sent to the serial on Atlanta which would then get sent to the gateway, then should goto the training server, but it doesnt seem to be getting there.

From atlanta clients i can ping it yes, from seattle i cannot.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I don't think there's any chance of making this work at all, unless, perhaps, if you want to add static routes to each workstation on both sides, or replace the ICS computer with a router.

For several reasons:

- 11.0.0.0 is a public address range, for the ICS 'gateway' this is the outside world.
    - ICS is not a router, and because it acts as a DHCP server and issues IP addresses from the 192.168.0.x network, it (probably, not 100% sure on this part:) won't perform NAT for any hosts other then from that range.
    -ICS is not meant for this sort of solutions, it is designed for small SOHO networks.
    - Also, it doesn't participate in the routing update process, so even if you would use a valid private IP address range (e.g. 10.xxx) ICS will never be able to know where 'Seattle' is.
  • Options
    Dang, I should have caught the public address thing...oh well, at least I was partially right about using a router.... icon_smile.gif
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech
  • Options
    Webmaster is absolutely correct. Everything looks good from a network perspective with the exception of the ICS gateway. You will either need to enable routing on the ICS gateway or replace it with a router.

What OS is running on the gateway? Windows NT and 2000 both support RIP routing, i'm not too sure about XP.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, the operating system on the gateway is indeed windows XP pro edition, so i duno if that makes any difference. I'll talk to my supervisor tommorow about this, hopefully we can scrap together another router to put in its place, and get this thing running.

I'll keep you guys updated.
    Thank's so much for your help.
  • Options
    Since you you have two NICs on this gateway, you can just add route statements to solve your routing issues. I'm not quite sure how to enable RIP, but it should be doable. Here's a link to using the route command in XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/route.asp
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    In case you want to use the XP professional computer as a router, you will need to disable ICS, and also use this article:
    icon_arrow.gif support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315236
    to enable IP forwarding.