So I sent this to a companies HR....

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
A network position popped up on a companies website that I check frequently because they do not post to job boards or use recruiters (whatever floats their boat). This was the first position that has opened up here in 12 months that has fit my skill set, so clicked "submit resume"...which in turn just gave me an email address.

I figured if all I was doing was sending a resume, I might as well jazz up the body of the email. So I made a pseudo cover letter/email body and reviewed it. I got done reading it and felt like it accurately portrayed what my technical accomplishments and ambitions are but I still felt like it didn't reflect me.

I don't know if it was my mode that afternoon or what, but I thought...what the hell; why not throw in some unexpected humor and roll the dice. Below is what I sent:

imgbox - fast, simple image host

I had a phone call 30 minutes later from the contact I sent that too. She wanted to do a phone screen that day, which turned into a onsite interview offer. She mentioned I am a little below the skill set they wanted but thought I would be a good culture fit, then went on to talk about breaking devices constantly (shes clumsy I take it).

The take away:

I feel like you should take every chance to put your personality out there during the hiring process. I don't take myself to seriously, so I added that quip about the iPhone. Sometimes that best jobs are the ones where you look forward to seeing co-workers and the work environment doesn't suck. Working with technology you like and earning more should be the icing on the cake.

Comments

• Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haha I like the approach and glad to hear it paid off for you. Congrats mate!
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did they end up offering you the position?
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Did they end up offering you the position?

I declined the on site interview.

The commute would have been terrible (1h 25m average both ways). Google maps said 55 minutes....then I drove it during rush hour and the last 8 miles took 30 minutes. The worst traffic I have seen in Metro Detroit ANYWHERE.

I spoke to them about WFH, flex schedules, etc...looking for a way to mitigate the drive time but nothing existed. HR said due to the nature of their work, they don't allow employees to work from home (BS), they do offer flex schedule but its at managers discretion and if they need someone to work a specific shift you have to do it.

We parted ways amicably, she said to keep in touch and added me in LI. I said if I move closer or if they start offering a hybrid WFH option I would be very interested.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Isn't that 'an MSP' :D
    The commute would have been terrible (1h 25m average both ways). Google maps said 55 minutes....then I drove it during rush hour and the last 8 miles took 30 minutes. The worst traffic I have seen in Metro Detroit ANYWHERE.
    I had a 6hr round-trip for a job once. Sometimes it is worth it (short term anyway)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Isn't that 'an MSP' :D

I had a 6hr round-trip for a job once. Sometimes it is worth it (short term anyway)

I am right there with you, the right time-right place can make sense. To get into IT, I left a paying job for an internship that literally didn't cover my gas money and had me driving 1h 20m each way for 3 months. It was TOTALY worth it, it got me into Dell/Desktop Support at a hospital which paid as good as the job I left to get into IT.

This one....it could be, but I went with my gut on this one that said not to roll the dice. That internship really burned me out on long commutes.
  • yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haha...this is awesome. I need to try it once...just for the fun of it.

Thanks...
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "owned an iphone for 15 months before damaging it"
    Made me laugh.
    Congrats
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a great idea and I had the same sort of thoughts when I read olaHalo's post at http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/115170-upcoming-interview-job-over-my-head.html#post986495 Unfortunately, I have trouble expressing personality through text, unless I've been drinking, and definitely looking for ideas. Also while I'm a fairly quick study on most people, I haven't yet been able to figure out an interviewer in enough time and not sure if sarcasm, dark or crude humor would be appropriate. I usually seem to get good feedback about my personality in interviews but I feel they are normal and would like to make them memorable.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I have trouble expressing personality through text, unless I've been drinking, and definitely looking for ideas. Also while I'm a fairly quick study on most people, I haven't yet been able to figure out an interviewer in enough time and not sure if sarcasm, dark or crude humor would be appropriate.
    The more you interview the more youll get used to it. I dont even get nervous anymore.
    If you ever get the chance to interview for any job I recommend doing it just for practice. Even if you dont want the job.

And I dont worry about coming off as unprofessional or crude by joking around during the interview. Most guys youre interviewing with are just like you. Just like OPs email, it usually sets you apart and makes them consider you.
    techfiend wrote: »
    It's a great idea and I had the same sort of thoughts when I read olaHalo's post at http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/115170-upcoming-interview-job-over-my-head.html#post986495 Unfortunately, I have trouble expressing personality through text, unless I've been drinking, and definitely looking for ideas. Also while I'm a fairly quick study on most people, I haven't yet been able to figure out an interviewer in enough time and not sure if sarcasm, dark or crude humor would be appropriate. I usually seem to get good feedback about my personality in interviews but I feel they are normal and would like to make them memorable.

I got lucky on this one. When I hit "submit resume" it did nothing in chrome (right click > copy URL showed me it was a mailto:...). So once I had a first/last name of the contact I hit linked in, found the person and reviewed her history. She went to a school my cousin went to, she was about my age and appeared to be a normal human being. It was a safe bet that she would appreciate humor that is popular with my generation (~30 years old), so I felt it would be safe to through in a bit about iPhones being fragile.

Research! Everyone and everything about a company. This is a company I have been following for about a year, I knew that two weekends before the phone call the company just had their annual Mackinaw Island weekend for their employees so ifI went to the onsite portion I would be able to work that into the interview somehow.

I have been doing more and more sales work. If I have learned anything from that, its that simply knowing a company and its people (even slightly) will set you apart EVERY TIME you meet with someone new.