may try to take server+

cchampcchamp Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
im new to the it field i dont have any experience, i am a student i just got net + a few days ago, im putin my resume out now to try to get in the working field.
but i was curious about server+ , i looked on comptia website and seen the passing score is a 615, so i figured it might not be that hard since i also hit like 657on A+ hardware and 644on net + anyway do yall think server will be a next good move.........

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Why not pursue Security+? Server+ seems equal to A+, so if you already have A+, why not save the time and money to pursue the next level in your certification journey?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Server+ has been called "advanced A+" because it emphasizes server hardware. The exam itself was not at all like the A+ exam. Server+ gives you a lot of mostly short problem-solving questions. It is also the natural "next step" in the CompTIA sequence. But, like bighornsheep would indicate, the exam fee does seem to be rather expensive. On the other hand, it's a lifetime cert and there is a lot of the materials learned in Server+ studies that you will not get in any other cert. I've always been glad that I have my Server+.

cchamp says
    putin my resume out now to try to get in the working field.

I assume you mean the "networking field". To get anywhere in networking you will need both Microsoft and Cisco studies and experience. Unix/Linux experience is not far behind. If you get into a large enterprise operation, you will likely specialize. But, the smaller organization will expect to see someone with a "complete package" of experience.

So, if your desire is to do the "get my foot in the door" scenario, then you're likely going to be doing technical support and then work into networking. And, in this case, Server+ will a least keep you from being almost overwhelmed the first time you walk into a big data center. At best, it will help you a great deal in understanding the need for everything there and why you do what you do.

If you're already doing support, then I would move on to M$ and Cisco studies, although you may want Server+ or Security+ after doing a couple of M$ exams, though, IMO, the M$ exams won't really help much with Server+.

O.K. This is my experience. Hope it helps. And.............Good Luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    I took Server+ about a year ago and just failed.

I studied using the SK0-001 books and failed with 698. Finding material for the new server+ is really hard and in my opinion you'd be better of with an MCSE or CCNA.

I wouldn't say it's like the A+ but it's not really a recognized cert like an MCSE or Network+. I agree with the other guys!

Good luck...whatever route you choose! icon_thumright.gif:D
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • cchampcchamp Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey im back, as i read the post, to respond to janmike.. yea im not doing support now , iam a student with a about 3 months left and i am in that phase of trying to get my foot in the door..as for the ms and cisco stuff you talked about, im also looking at one of the mcsa certs before im done since its on the school track . school trak is like this A+,net+,ccna,270-290-291 but all of that is cramed in 9 months.so its like u get what ever u can out of it!! and if u pass the schools test they will pay for it. anyway i probably get xp out of the last 3 from ms. since its first and still do my own studying on the side for server+. ima try to do both inthe last few months, so i can possibly add server and mcp to a resume.!!
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    It appears that you're really "fast-trackin' "! Get the most that you can right now, for sure.

Then, get in the door and get that experience.

Again, Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    steve-o87 wrote:
    I wouldn't say it's like the A+ but it's not really a recognized cert like an MCSE or Network+ :D

I agree, A+ and Network+ I reckon are more recognised. In my case, I work on servers as well as PCs and found the Server+ a good option to obtain.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Server+ is a good cert. It's very underrated and it's nothing like A+. I studied for it but never took the exam because I had more important exams to do. :D
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • cchampcchamp Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ay, janmike and pletner, what study material did yall use for server+ or what material do you suggest!
    cchamp wrote:
    ay, janmike and pletner, what study material did yall use for server+ or what material do you suggest!

Try this:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16245
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After a year working at HP on the ISS departmente then moving forward to system admin in another company, it think im ready to take the exam.
    So far i've worked with DL,ML and blade servers.
    I hope this exam wont have question about blade software, i couldnt obtain all the knowledge at HP about blades software.
    Im using server + bible to study for the exam.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been thinking about taking Server+ for a while also. I haven't because I have been slowly studying for my MCSE. I think Server+ is a good cert to have but unfortunately is underrated by employers though I don't know why.
    chmod wrote:
    After a year working at HP on the ISS departmente then moving forward to system admin in another company, it think im ready to take the exam.

Just curious, is the company you work for wanting you to do the cert or are you doing it for personal satisfaction?
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The company, specially my boss is always telling us and motivating to us, he says that we have to get more certifications, the company will pay for exams if we pass.For me it is a great policy and i have to take advantage of it.
    Unlike HP the company really care about certifications.
    When i worked at HP, i tried to get a certification on proliants, although i said several times to them that I wanted to be certified, it does not matter to them.
    Im going to do the exam because they are going to reimburse me the money. and because of personal satisfaction.
    Im ccna certified, but i always get jobs, that are "server-related" and more since i left HP.
    I always think first about personal satisfaction then on other stuffs.
    chmod wrote:
    So far i've worked with DL,ML and blade servers.
    I hope this exam wont have question about blade software, i couldnt obtain all the knowledge at HP about blades software.

I didn't get any questions on blade software, but you will need to know about SNMP - just the basics. I don;t remember anything in my material being based on blade software. You will need to know about the abilities clustering - i.e. what are the advanatges of clustering, load balancing and adaptor teaming on NICs, etc. but you won't be asked what the process is to cluster 5 Windows 2003 servers. It is enough to know which products support clustering.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's been so long since I've done A+ and Network+, that I'm thinking about doing Server+ as well just to catch up on some of the changes in technology.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks