DHCP Server question

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, i was wondering what the best practice would be maybe in industry that goes into configuring a DHCP server?
I have done plenty of them with sub interfaces and with L3 switches, but i was wondering is the ip-helper command the best way to do it if you have a DHCP server set up and is this the best practice etc...

Thanks

Comments

• HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IP Helper per VLAN.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, the IP-helper command is the best way for any routing device to interact and know about a DHCP server. As mentioned above remember to place the IP-helper command on each router interface / sub-interface / interface VLAN that you need DHCP services on.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could configure a DHCP server on each L3 switch or router that faces the VLAN(s) you want to use DHCP for. But, many companies like to centralize things. Microsoft for example has a DHCP Server role that can be installed on Windows Server and integrates with Active Directory. In that case, you would use the IP Helper command and specify the IP Address of the centralized DHCP server.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]