Offered a digital forensics role!

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've been seeking a digital forensics role since early 2014. Almost 2 years later, I attended an interview with 15 people and managed to get into the top 4 and get offered a job. The day consisted of team building exercises, an exam and a presentation. Initially, 4-5 people got knocked out of the 15 and I was in the top 10, then after my presentation, I was told that I was in the top 4 and they were going to offer me the job (in law enforcement).

I'm going to be taking a big pay cut (50%) which sounds absolutely crazy, I know. But for the past 18 months, i've been doing jobs that I hate because I couldn't get into forensics. I currently work in a well-paid job but the actual job role itself is absolutely soul-destroying (I work in a SOC).

I'm waiting on the contract to arrive along with a confirmation of my vetting, and i'm good to go!

Comments

• dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on your new job. Well done!icon_cheers.gif If this is what you really want to do then you shoudn't worry about the money too much i'm sure the money will come in due course. I've also looked at forensic roles here in UK but i would be taking a 75% pay cut. roles are interesting however money sucks. It is really that bad working in a SOC?
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on your new job. Well done!icon_cheers.gif If this is what you really want to do then you shoudn't worry about the money too much i'm sure the money will come in due course. I've also looked at forensic roles here in UK but i would be taking a 75% pay cut. roles are interesting however money sucks. It is really that bad working in a SOC?

Thanks Duster! The money does suck but from what i've seen, once you've got experience in forensics, the money goes up. My observations show that you could have 10+ years IT experience, but unless you have forensics experience, you WILL begin on a basic salary.

Yes, SOC's are... well, I always point people to this thread, as it explains SOC's perfectly.
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    si20 wrote: »
    Thanks Duster! The money does suck but from what i've seen, once you've got experience in forensics, the money goes up. My observations show that you could have 10+ years IT experience, but unless you have forensics experience, you WILL begin on a basic salary.

Yes, SOC's are... well, I always point people to this thread, as it explains SOC's perfectly.

I'm in the uk too i saw looking at SOC roles think i will pass now since they're that bad
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks Duster! The money does suck but from what i've seen, once you've got experience in forensics, the money goes up

I'm not familiar with the UK market, but from the few people I know in the US doing it, you'd have to leave the law enforcement arena to see the salary go up. Either way, congrats on the big move!
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That sounds like one hell of an interview, congratulations!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the job!
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the UK market, but from the few people I know in the US doing it, you'd have to leave the law enforcement arena to see the salary go up.

I've seen most of the forensic roles here in the UK advertise for around £25k thats around $39k USD. No one can get me out of bed for that kind of money unless there are no other options!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Life is short, glad to see you are pursuing your passion. Congrats on the gig!
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    "Sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly." - The Zoo Story - Congrats and good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats dude, excellent news!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's awesome! Congrats!
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it!
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congrats! I'm trying to do the same myself :D
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

UnixGuy wrote: »
    Congrats! I'm trying to do the same myself :D

thanks UnixGuy! So you're looking for a forensics role yourself? Any luck so far? It took me a long time to find and land this role!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the new role!!! Sometimes doing what you enjoy can be worth more than the money itself.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    thanks UnixGuy! So you're looking for a forensics role yourself? Any luck so far? It took me a long time to find and land this role!

or any CERT type role, but no luck so far. I'm not looking hard enough to be honest, waiting for the year to end :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE