Should I try to go for Sr. roles or dumb down my resume?

endlessappsendlessapps Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I keep getting contacted by recruiters for Sr. level network engineer positions for leading huge enterprises through linkedin. While I guess thats a good thing meaning my profile looks great but I come from a smaller environment of an estimated 225 people span across less than a handful of sites which I am the "Lead" in my IT dept. I'm looking for mid level work don't feel I can be the lead quite yet of a large enterprise. I'm sure if I shadow a senior for 6 months or so to understand operations at a larger scope I'll be comfortably able to do what that person does.

I'm not sure if I should dumb my resume down or what? I rarely see any mid level positions only either junior or senior roles. The junior tends to be monitoring/troubleshooting which I applied for a jr. role paying big money and the engineer I spoke to said I was over qualified. The senior roles I see are designing networks over 30 sites with thousands of employees which has a lot of room to screw stuff up icon_redface.gif

Comments

• 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Everybody else thinks you can be doing these things, why in particular do you think you can't? Every new job is a challenge in one way or another.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with 636-555-3226. And Senior Network Engineer doesn't necessarily mean you will be leading a team.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im curious as to what you have on your resume that makes them contact you so often.
    Care to share?
  • Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    Senior means different things to different organizations. At my firm Senior consultants are those that have been doing this work for a while, where as a Staff consultant might be new to this type of work. Managing consultants lead engagements and Directors own the engagements. Make sure you understand what Senior means to that organization and at least take a phone screen to find out more about what the position entails. Nothing wrong with turning down a role you are unqualified for, but at least make sure you are unqualified first.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Go for it. Don't get hung up on the title. Learn..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree; if they're contacting you then they're either those recruiters that just send EVERY postion to EVERYBODY, or something on your profile makes it look like you might fit the team.

To be honest I feel the same way though; I always underestimate myself when it comes to bigger & better roles. But then I had a junior member present me with a problem he was having with one of the labs with his classes and I was able to tell him what was wrong before he even finished his question. If you're the same and you try to be objective it's easier to see you're more valuable than you normally think.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • endlessappsendlessapps Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for the insight. I will take another look at those roles next time..who knows may lead me to a prosperous future.

Thanks again
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bermovick wrote: »
    I agree; if they're contacting you then they're either those recruiters that just send EVERY postion to EVERYBODY, or something on your profile makes it look like you might fit the team.

To be honest I feel the same way though; I always underestimate myself when it comes to bigger & better roles. But then I had a junior member present me with a problem he was having with one of the labs with his classes and I was able to tell him what was wrong before he even finished his question. If you're the same and you try to be objective it's easier to see you're more valuable than you normally think.

This is me all over, glad it's not just me. Go for the best thing available, doesn't hurt to try!
  • DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've got the same problem though my experience is very broad so I get both ends (entry desktop and top level enterprise stuff) constantly. I keep tweaking my resume and feel I'd be best suited to a guy who wears a lot of hats and can't seem to zero in on that job.