Non-vendor specific CLOUD cert?

I have been studying for the Amazon AWS Arch Associate cert for a few months now because I was trying to stay ahead of a transition my company was going through. It ends up that they did not strike a deal with AWS and are still looking for the right provider.

In the mean time I would like to get spun up on the technical makeup and functionalities of CLOUD computing.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a cert that is vendor neutral in CLOUD?

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know CompTIA offers a Cloud+ cert. I'm not sure how marketable it is, but I'd guess that it's going to be one of the better non-vendor specific certs out there for that service.
  • 5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    I looked at it, but the ROI of that might be a waste.

What do you think about the VCA6-DCV/CMA route? I know datacenter would be a good foundation and then follow up with cloud for VM?
    Well VCA isn't vendor-neutral and I'd actually say it's a waste of time/money unless every single thing is paid for by your company. I work for VMware so I figured why not? If I didn't, no way would I put resources into it. I'd go straight for a VCP, but even then I'd want my company to pay for it since the ICM is so expensive.
    markulous wrote: »
    Well VCA isn't vendor-neutral and I'd actually say it's a waste of time/money unless every single thing is paid for by your company. I work for VMware so I figured why not? If I didn't, no way would I put resources into it. I'd go straight for a VCP, but even then I'd want my company to pay for it since the ICM is so expensive.

Hmmm. About how much would some be looking at for the VCP? I think my local community college offer the training.
    You'll want to double-check, but I think the ICM is over $1000 and you'll have to take that before you can take the VCP. So even if your college offers a training course for the VCP, you'll still have to pay for the ICM I believe.
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    5502george wrote: »
    I have been studying for the Amazon AWS Arch Associate cert for a few months now because I was trying to stay ahead of a transition my company was going through. It ends up that they did not strike a deal with AWS and are still looking for the right provider.

In the mean time I would like to get spun up on the technical makeup and functionalities of CLOUD computing.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a cert that is vendor neutral in CLOUD?

MS provides a some good ebooks around moving to the cloud. Although they have an azure spin to them, they are still good for learning.

http://wag.codeplex.com/
    markulous wrote: »
    You'll want to double-check, but I think the ICM is over $1000 and you'll have to take that before you can take the VCP. So even if your college offers a training course for the VCP, you'll still have to pay for the ICM I believe.

Ouch!

What about CCNA:Cloud?

Seems kinda interesting.
    Just asked a coworker and I guess it's 2k for the ICM. icon_surprised.gif

I can't speak on the CCNA: Cloud. It's a Cisco cert so it should be decent, but again not sure how marketable it is. If you're just looking to stay ahead of the curve at your work and do this for your own knowledge then it'd probably be a good cert.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cloud+ is a great vendor-neutral certification to get your foot in the door.

Also, look at ISC^2's Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP).

https://www.isc2.org/ccsp/default.aspx
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Assuming that you are in a state that Stanly Community College can accept students from, their ICM course is $185. They have an account here, along with at least one instructor, so I would suggest reaching out to them. They have a wait list, but that shouldn't be a problem as you will need to study from more than the info provided in ICM in order to pass the exam.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Assuming that you are in a state that Stanly Community College can accept students from, their ICM course is $185. They have an account here, along with at least one instructor, so I would suggest reaching out to them. They have a wait list, but that shouldn't be a problem as you will need to study from more than the info provided in ICM in order to pass the exam.

Does it run the length of a traditional college course?
    fuz1on wrote: »
    Cloud+ is a great vendor-neutral certification to get your foot in the door.

Also, look at ISC^2's Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP).

https://www.isc2.org/ccsp/default.aspx

I was thinking about the CCSP, but last time I checked there was no books available for it.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    5502george wrote: »
    Does it run the length of a traditional college course?

No I am in the class now and it goes from October - December. You can also sit for the VCP exam (if you study/feel confident) but you won't get the certificate until you take the ICM class.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/