Opinions & Suggestions On My Career/Cert Track

BytezBytez Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Looking for some opinions/critique on the certification path I've decided on during the last 3/4 weeks.

I'm in my early twenties and am currently working in a System Administration role. The technology/hardware used in this role is primarily, Windows Server 2008/2012, Exchange 2010/Office365, Azure, Citrix, VMWare, Cisco, CommVault
I've worked worked my way up from 1st line support (3 years) and 2nd line support (1.5years).

Although early in my career to decide on specialization, I would like to focus on network security. (I haven't had a chance to look into the granular levels of network security but I will do that throughout the holiday period)
I know that nothing will replace the hands-on experience but as far as certifications go I've chosen the below.

- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- Cisco CCENT (ICDN1)
- Cisco CCNA (ICDN2)
- Cisco CCNA | Security

I've set myself a date of 1st July 2016, by then I would have liked to obtained my CCNA Security and be in a more Network orientated role.
I will start looking at what other certifications I can work towards once I've achieved the above. (Suggestions more than welcome now though)

Some will say that I should go straight into the CCENT but I wanted to really understand the foundations by taking the N+ & S+.
It's been almost 6 years since I did any kind of study (I left school at 16) so I thought it would be a good way to re-establish how I study best.

My study resources will include,

- CBT Nuggets
- Pluralsight
- ExamCram (Network+)
- Cisco ViRL, Packet Tracer
- ESXi Lab
- Cisco 2960 Switch

I would appreciate any other suggestions or comments on the above path I will be working towards as of this weekend.

Thanks

Comments

• BytezBytez Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No-one? icon_sad.gif

I may have posted this in the wrong section in all fairness.

Could this thread be closed? I've re-posted in the IT Jobs section.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    With 4.5 years of IT work under your belt I don't think you need to worry about any CompTIA certifications. By now you should have a good understanding of basic security (sec +) and basic networking (net +), especially being a SA with so many different technologies under your belt.

I would recommend jumping right into Cisco route you've outlined yourself below if you want to be hands on with network security. CCENT covers basic networking in case you need a refresher. If you want to save money, check around for local community colleges that offer the CCNA academy; some colleges offer it free and others for a fairly cheap price which usually include an exam voucher or discounted exam voucher. You will receive hands on labbing and an instructor to help you out along the way.
  • diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bytez wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Looking for some opinions/critique on the certification path I've decided on during the last 3/4 weeks.

I'm in my early twenties and am currently working in a System Administration role. The technology/hardware used in this role is primarily, Windows Server 2008/2012, Exchange 2010/Office365, Azure, Citrix, VMWare, Cisco, CommVault
    I've worked worked my way up from 1st line support (3 years) and 2nd line support (1.5years).

Although early in my career to decide on specialization, I would like to focus on network security. (I haven't had a chance to look into the granular levels of network security but I will do that throughout the holiday period)
    I know that nothing will replace the hands-on experience but as far as certifications go I've chosen the below.

- CompTIA Network+
    - CompTIA Security+
    - Cisco CCENT (ICDN1)
    - Cisco CCNA (ICDN2)
    - Cisco CCNA | Security

I've set myself a date of 1st July 2016, by then I would have liked to obtained my CCNA Security and be in a more Network orientated role.
    I will start looking at what other certifications I can work towards once I've achieved the above. (Suggestions more than welcome now though)

Some will say that I should go straight into the CCENT but I wanted to really understand the foundations by taking the N+ & S+.
    It's been almost 6 years since I did any kind of study (I left school at 16) so I thought it would be a good way to re-establish how I study best.

My study resources will include,

- CBT Nuggets
    - Pluralsight
    - ExamCram (Network+)
    - Cisco ViRL, Packet Tracer
    - ESXi Lab
    - Cisco 2960 Switch

I would appreciate any other suggestions or comments on the above path I will be working towards as of this weekend.

Thanks

- CompTIA Network+
    - CompTIA Security+
    - Cisco CCENT (ICDN1)
    - Cisco CCNA (ICDN2)
    - Cisco CCNA | Security

Do all of these. Don't leave any stone unturned. Especially in today's economy! Companies love to be very **** and pay you less for the lack of a piece of paper. It happened to me; I just had a AS degree in Computer Networking and was making $13/hr. I could do the same job as the person without a degree, but whom had an A+, and Net+. They were making $18/hr. Turns out teksystems was able to take more money from me and pocket it vs having to pay it out to me. All because I had no barganing chip. AKA --> certifications. To this day it still is happening. I have a CEH, and security+, but don't have a CISSP so the contracting company I work for only pays me $28/hr vs the $40/hr i know others are making.
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a good plan to me, do them all if you can. If time is an issue then just nail the CCNA
    It seems
    like you have good work experience to back it all up so shouldn't be too difficult a path for you. My question is this- will you study them simultaneously or hit the Network and Security + then go down the Cisco route?