Options

security policy templates

tctechtctech Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I had a question on security policies asking to match the correct template to the right OU.

it only asked for basic and default security on the whole network. I had to match the correct policy to the domain.com , dc's ou, clients ou, servers OU. It never said to use Secure or Highsec... so I ended up picking these 'basicdc.inf' and 'basic*.inf' templates which now I'm thinking that these are fake.?? An I shoudl have just used setup security.inf for all OU's ?? Even the domain ?

anyone know what i'm talking about?

I definetally need for review here.

basic*.inf's don't even exist do they?? There not defaults?!?
“I learned there are troubles of more than one kind, some come from ahead, and some come from behind…. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

Comments

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I would have to see the exact wording of the question. Sounds like it was worded that could trick you.

Default security template is never a good idea to deploy through a GPO, as it is quite large.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To see the default security templates:

Start > Run > MMC

File > Add/Remove Snap-In

Add > Select "Security Templates" > Add > Okay

Expand the + sign a couple of times and you'll see 8 of them.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    i see 7 ...

so which policy is considered a default?

setup security i assume
    “I learned there are troubles of more than one kind, some come from ahead, and some come from behind…. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    they were probably looknig ot see if you knew yuor templates

take a look at

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_scedefaultpols.mspx?mfr=true

as you can see there are different levels of security and thus different templates there are also workstation and DC templates for each security level

security is always a comprimise between securing the system and useability legacy apps generally will not run in if the Highsecws tempalte is applied so you might need ot comprimise the security a bit inorder to have operability

after all a 100% secure environment doe;snt exist...because yuo could not use the machine
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    tctech wrote:
    i see 7 ...

setup security i assume

correct
  • Options
    thanks for the link... it was defiinetaly a trick question...

i still dont know the exact answer but that ok... i dont want to break any rules here.

thanks for the help
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tctech wrote:
    i see 7 ...

setup security i assume

Sorry, you're right it's 7. icon_redface.gif

The 8th one was a custom policy I have at work.
    All things are possible, only believe.