Options

Security+ SY0-401 Question - Sims, Ports

Skip1973Skip1973 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
First of all, great forum here!

I have just begun studying for the CompTia Security+ 401 exam. Are there many use of simulations (I.e., drag and drop to configure, etc) and questions on specific ports?

Am using the Pearson Security+ 401 by David Prowse if that factors in at all. Having many Certifications (HP, IBM, MS) can't say I'm that wild about the way he wrote this book; appears to be very scattered in his approach.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Options
    $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    Many of us used Darril Gibson Get Certified Ahead Book. I used the Kindle version. $9.99. A lot forum members say it is all you need to pass the test. It also gives you a table to memorize for ports. Professor Messor on YouTube is also a really good source. CBT nuggets is a great source as well. You can get a week free trial with CBT nuggets and that is enough to finish the Security + course. I personally used all of these that I mentioned. The test changes so it isn't really feasible or allowed (you sign an NDA to not discuss your test) to tell you about the sims specifically.
  • Options
    $bvb379 wrote: »
    Many of us used Darril Gibson Get Certified Ahead Book. I used the Kindle version. $9.99. A lot forum members say it is all you need to pass the test. It also gives you a table to memorize for ports. Professor Messor on YouTube is also a really good source. CBT nuggets is a great source as well. You can get a week free trial with CBT nuggets and that is enough to finish the Security + course. I personally used all of these that I mentioned. The test changes so it isn't really feasible or allowed (you sign an NDA to not discuss your test) to tell you about the sims specifically.
    Many thanks for the quick reply and great suggestions.

I should have phrased the question about Sims different. I was curious if they are used or not present at all. I wasn't looking for any specific questions on the test.

Many thanks again!
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Well, let's avoid the NDA entirely, and go look at the CompTIA site:
    Type of Questions Multiple choice and performance-based

Performance-Based Questions
    In addition to a traditional multiple-choice format, some CompTIA certification exams include performance-based questions (PBQs). These PBQs test your ability to solve problems in a simulated environment. Remember to manage your time wisely when solving the PBQs on your exam. Most of them will appear at the beginning of the exam and you won’t be able see a clock when working on the PBQs.

So, there you have it. There can be 'sims' on the Security+.

Also, on the Security+ webpage is a link to get sample questions and the objectives. On the objectives is a list of protocols (22?) and ports (10) to know. It's not really bad, but might be a bit of a cram if you don't have previous reason to know these.

Edit:

Just found this sample from Pearson for their SY0-401 Exam Cram. It coincidentally includes, I think, all of Chapter 2 and has a lot on protocols and ports.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    OctalDump,

Thanks for taking the time to be so concise, greatly appreciated. I'll look at the links now, and again, thank you!

Skip
  • Options
    TallDude7TallDude7 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    don't skimp over any objectives in the course. you have to know it all. especially the changes from SY0-301 CompTIA Security+ SY0-401 vs. SY0-301 Changes - InfoSec Resources I passed in the 800's but would have got a higher score if I studied harder the objectives I skimmed over.
  • Options
    TallDude7 wrote: »
    don't skimp over any objectives in the course. you have to know it all. especially the changes from SY0-301 CompTIA Security+ SY0-401 vs. SY0-301 Changes - InfoSec Resources I passed in the 800's but would have got a higher score if I studied harder the objectives I skimmed over.
    No Sir, I am not skipping over anything. Thanks for the input!