Juniper VS Cisco

Networking_StudentNetworking_Student Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is it worth studying for Juniper if you're already on track for CCENT and CCNA R&S?

And also, what are the equivalents between each other. Such as Juniper vs Cisco certs layer to layer? It seems the JNCIA is less than the CCENT from the reading material I've looked at so far, is that a good assumption? Or is there more to the JNCIA?

Would it be worth the money to study for Juniper as well?
Working on my MCSD: Windows Store Apps
WGU-Software Development Student

Comments

• Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi there,

At my work, our network is very "blended" with Cisco, Juniper, Arista, Palo Alto, F5, Overatures, Rad Rici, and on and on. So... to answer your question. I would focus on knocking out your CCENT and CCNA R&S. This will provide a solid foundation so you can take on Juniper and Arista if you come across the devices/OS. I would also highly encourage you to study Linux at some point. This will also help with working in Juniper and Arista devices.

Juniper is popular for a Cisco replacement... as they perform very well and are significantly cheaper than Cisco. Depending on the size of the company you hire on with... at some point, odds are, you will encounter Juniper and it would be great to have a base knowledge of the Juniper OS.

Hope this helps.
    Frank
  • SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    YES!

What Hatch said is totally accurate. Your workplace will (90% of the time) have a blended environment of vendors just like he mentioned. If you had to pick the bare minimum I would focus on Juniper, Cisco, Palo Alto.
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    At the CCNA level unless you have a reason, like a job requirement, I'd probably just keep learning and certifying on the Cisco track. Cisco is widely accepted in the industry and there are plenty of resources. You can easily apply the knowledge to Juniper certifications down the road. No harm firing up an vSRX and playing around though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.