Options

MCSE path unclear

elad123elad123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

As the MCSE paths are no longer tied into a version of windows server and instead require recertification does anyone know what happens when server 2016 exams are released?

I assume the MCSA:2012 exams no longer become valid as a path to the MCSE (But the exams will continue to exist and you will be able to take them) new MCSA:2016 exams will become available as well as an upgrade exam that will count towards the MCSE.

What I don't understand is what happens for example on the MCSE Server Infrastructure path with the 70-413 and 70-414 exams, are these replaced with two new exams or is the content just updated?

So for example if you had the had MCSA:2012 ( 70-410, 70-411, 70-412) + the 70-413 and the next day server 2016 exams are released, how far along to the MCSE: Server Infrastructure are you, I assume you have no exams that count towards it? In the past this made perfect sense, but consider the above example if you also completed the 70-414 the day before the server 2016 exams are released you now have the MCSE valid for 3 years and you may never have to touch server 2016. Is this how it actually works?

I am all for recertification, I just don't think it's very clear how Microsoft are trying to implement it.

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    It appears, based on what they have said about MCSE Enterprise Devices and Apps, that there will be a transition period. That track actually uses the Windows client exams, and the announced retirement for Windows 8 exams is now mid next year and they have said there will be a transition period where both Windows 10 and Windows 8 exams will allow you to gain MCSE. The "MCSE" exams (the two exams which you do in addition to the base client exams) will remain the same for at least this period (apart from the usual updates to questions).

I expect that MCSE Server Infrastructure will follow the same pattern. At worst, I expect a 1 exam delta. Microsoft are generally pretty good at giving warning about what they are doing, and when tracks will end. I expect also that the MCSA Server 2012 will remain in the market for a long time as MS realises that these products have very long active lives and there will be demand for certified professionals for a long time.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-server-infrastructure-certification.aspx

As you can see, the MCSA is still tied into the MCSE. The 410, 411, and 412 are needed for the MCSE. As far as when Windows Server 2016 comes out, I doubt that will matter. Due to the fact that you can still get Server 2008 certs, it shouldn't be any different.
  • Options
    elad123elad123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    elad123 wrote: »
    Hi All,

As the MCSE paths are no longer tied into a version of windows server and instead require recertification does anyone know what happens when server 2016 exams are released?

I assume the MCSA:2012 exams no longer become valid as a path to the MCSE (But the exams will continue to exist and you will be able to take them) new MCSA:2016 exams will become available as well as an upgrade exam that will count towards the MCSE.

What I don't understand is what happens for example on the MCSE Server Infrastructure path with the 70-413 and 70-414 exams, are these replaced with two new exams or is the content just updated?

So for example if you had the had MCSA:2012 ( 70-410, 70-411, 70-412) + the 70-413 and the next day server 2016 exams are released, how far along to the MCSE: Server Infrastructure are you, I assume you have no exams that count towards it? In the past this made perfect sense, but consider the above example if you also completed the 70-414 the day before the server 2016 exams are released you now have the MCSE valid for 3 years and you may never have to touch server 2016. Is this how it actually works?

I am all for recertification, I just don't think it's very clear how Microsoft are trying to implement it.

That sounds pretty logical, do you have a link to where they said that? I'm having trouble finding it.