Into the testing center I go...

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Round 2, ICDN2.

Except I'm an hour early. Misread the clock on the appointment in the email..

/facepalm

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Really perplexed as what else to do....

I got a 695.

The test seemed to have nothing in comparison to what I've been using for studying. Like the questions, even when compared to Boson, made me scratch my head.

This is turning in the ICDN1 in terms of perseverance.

Really beside myself at the moment. I so want to get over this hurdle just not sure how..

My 1st score was 660 so it is an improvement but still a month for only 30 points. /hidesincorner
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Sucks to hear, man. What parts of the exam did you struggle with the most? What was your score distribution?
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
    I failed the CCENT 4 times before passing it in August with a 951. This is my 2nd go at ICDN2. Just going to reread my book chapter by chapter and make more diagrams and lab even more.

Focusing more on STP/RSTP and then values for OSPF and EIGRP and Frame Relay I thought I had a handle on it but I guess it didn't...Going to use Boson ExSim's for ICDN2 and going through some more practise tests from a different source.

I guess I just need to really know Cisco, figuratively and literally. Until my blood runs with Cisco IOS...

..it's really testing my perseverance.
  • SGITSGIT Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You've done the Boson practice exams? I've read where they are not as helpful for the new 200-101 ICND2 as they were for the older ones.
    I'd like give more advise than make sure you understand how to you get the answers when taking the practice exams but I haven't taken the test yet, I'm scheduled to 12/15/2015.
  • SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    Damn, sorry to hear that man. I'm in the same boat as you with ICND2.. Well I haven't failed it yet, but it has been some months since ICND1..

I have studied both parts though and I really suggest Wendell Odom's book along with CBTnuggets. Aside from the main course in CBTnuggets there is another one they have called... Exam Walkthrough I believe which really helped me. They basically go over some example questions in an exam fashion.

Even if you can't afford CBTnuggets you can get the trial and just watch those, take good notes. And set up GNS3/Packet Tracer definitely for some hands on. Good luck
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}
  • ChromeChrome Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Unlucky man. From looking at your last thread, I'm sure you'll smash this one eventually. Don't give up! :)
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Frame Relay is a PITA on ICND2..
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
    This time unlike the last exams I spent a good hour in the car in the parking lot writing out all the questions I could remembered that I got wrong so that now I cna work on them exclusively and work in issues that are similar to them.

I want to get the certfication it just won't be a easy one. I think if this is a precursor of things to come I think I will admit defeat and listen to everyone and just stick to a specialization.

After this I need to renew my VCP to 6 but after than I think I want to stay focused on Cisco. Just because if I want CCIE i need to be constantly doing Cisco to stay on-top...

But back to labbing I go...
    erg... graduated from packet tracer now... so done....

EIGRP stub maybe CCNP but I'm learning these protcols at one level higher than CCNA....and i learn them better...

GSN3 I go.... no eigrp stubby in PT

I don't get it.. You're missing things on the ICND2 exam objectves, so you decide to learn CCNP instead? Well I guess that's not a bad thing, cause you're learning higher level topics which lets you understand the base topic more clearly?

But yea, I need to get down on some GNS3 myself. (Wish I had a real lab icon_cry.gif)
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    But I'm sticking with it. Took a 3 hour nap yesyerday after getting home and rebounded and studied til 2 am. It's now 7:30 am and I'm getting right back into it....

Hmmm... at this point, i think that
    Re-using the same study material... is going to yield you the same result.

You need new material.

What about the simulation questions?
    SMASHED them all.
    I watched Keith Barker's "Frame Relay and WAN Troubleshooting" troubleshoot; 3 separate times (including the morning of).
    Lo and behold: it showed up on the test.

How did you fair on the sims?
    If you aced them... then don't waste your time re-reading books.
    just Go find the answers to the multiple-choice-Qs you got wrong.
    Networker050184,
    Thank you for the warning/scrubbing the last post.
    This forum is a great resource for all; i will be diligent in honoring its standard of excellence :]
  • toasterboy1toasterboy1 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sad to hear. Makes me fear what I am getting myself into, especially since I do not work in the field. Keep at it hopefully you diligence will pay off and you can recoup some of your financial loss with a sweet raise.
    doing this mainly for me. Raises only come after hard work, i truly want to learn this and master it...

if CCENT is a testiment to this, I'm not a quiter. I'm too stubborn to quit...

Changing it up:

Signed up for INE.com
    using Pluralsight videos
    Heavily using Boson
    Re-reading select chapters on topics I struggle on...

Hopefully all these attempts will make me a better engineer. the biggest issue is I do this 24/7 at work, but when it comes to a wordy approach to an issue I suck at it. Lets face it, in the real world, you'll just use show commands and find the problem.....

I will overcome this, just might take 7 or 8 attempts...
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not to be harsh, but the CCNA is a fairly easy entry level exam. Most are able to pass in single attempt or two within a few months. If you're failing both test multiple times you really need to take a deep look at what you're doing here and how thin you're spreading yourself.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Not to be harsh, but the CCNA is a fairly easy entry level exam. Most are able to pass in single attempt or two within a few months. If you're failing both test multiple times you really need to take a deep look at what you're doing here and how thin you're spreading yourself.

Being learning disabled with Dyslexia sucks ass.....my IQ is 132... but simple words come across as flipped to me on exams or in life. it's a problem for me I know. I'm working on it. I learn in a much different manner than others, just makes me work harder cause I struggle so hard to understand sentences...my home lab and things on my blog are a testiment to me determination to learn, I just don't always view the world in the same manner as others do.

computer have always come naturally to me cause I never had to take tests, hence why I only have an associates degree. Me and tests almost always result in a failure cause words don't make sense to me. I can write them, but reading them that's a diffferent story. I may take up Pearson Vue on their offer and submit my IEP, they said they'll give me a time extension that is equal to half of the normal exam. I've been wanting to do this like everyone else but I may need to suck up my pride and get the help.

But my persistenace and stubborness to learn is what keeps me going, it's been a life struggle since I was little. If you all can do it so can I, just it's going to take me forever!!!!!

trust me living with it bother me to no end, when i was young i was on sucide watch all the time cause it was just so hard to fit in. a life with a disability royal sucks, but just because I learn slower than others doesn't mean I'm not capable of it, i just need to invest more time than others.... fine example, driving, it took me 3 years to learn how to drive, i couldn't get my hands and feet to work at the same time....probably why I suck at swimming...

That's why for me I want a CCIE but it will probably no joke take me 20 years..

But I'm not giving up, regardless of my disability, I'm not giving up. I've been labbing and reading books and doing videos since May when I start for the CCENT, I've invest most of 2015 to learning this topic. I'm not about to give up. These nootrpics I take lately help me keep kool longer but having this disability is still that a disability. If you all remember I spent a good 10 months on VCP.

Someday I'll get there, someday...back to studying...
  • squawk1500squawk1500 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you looked at the exam objectives that are on Cisco's website? Also, I'd recommend you check out some videos on youtube. Do a search for "OSPF explained (part 1)". Check out the other videos this guy has too. He has Trainsignal videos on OSPF, EIGRP, and Frame-relay and I recommend them for anyone taking the ICND2.

I've always said that Cisco could have an exam question asking me what city I was born in and the way they would word it would make me doubt myself for the answer. lol

I'm gearing up to take the ICND2 myself then the JNCIA-Junos before the end of the year. So yea, I know the stress.
    squawk1500 wrote: »
    Have you looked at the exam objectives that are on Cisco's website? Also, I'd recommend you check out some videos on youtube. Do a search for "OSPF explained (part 1)". Check out the other videos this guy has too. He has Trainsignal videos on OSPF, EIGRP, and Frame-relay and I recommend them for anyone taking the ICND2.

I've always said that Cisco could have an exam question asking me what city I was born in and the way they would word it would make me doubt myself for the answer. lol

I'm gearing up to take the ICND2 myself then the JNCIA-Junos before the end of the year. So yea, I know the stress.

I read them daily. :) ... words just suck for me in general. :/

learning isn't stressful to me, I love learning. when it doesn't 'click' i just study harder and taking thing to the extreme seeing it from a different angle. It normally takes me look ing at something 5 to 10 different ways for me ot finally understand it...

this is probably why it takes me forever to learn...

Essentially when I was born I had 45% brain damage from my father exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam when he was a Sniper, so my brain rewired in a completely different manner than others. Being born in Yale New Haven Hopsital was the best thing for me, the best hosptial in the world. icon_biggrin.gif
    like here, this concept of EIGRP sucessor and feasible sucessor took me no joke like 36 hours to understand just this concept alone, no joke. I think I read like 15 websites and even used the cisco.com explanation before it finally clicked... I spent a long time with Rob on this topic, he's a true blessing he's been so helpful mentoring me on Facebook wheneever I have a question...

List the Paths listed in the routing table from Router E to A if the eigrp variance was set to. Note the numbers posted are the RD (metric cost of each link)
    1) Default
    2) 2
    3) 3

the default variance is 1. so I'd do 1) E to C to A
    this is becasue it has 10 x 10 = 20, 20 is lower than 20+10 = 30 and 25+20 = 45. So for a Variance of 1, the route E to C to A is that one....

As for Variance of 2: that is chosen by doing the 1st variance of 20 by 2 equaling 40. since EIGRP is a unequal load balncing it will then be able to use all routes with a metric lower than 40 to satisfy the feasibility condition of the sucessor route. With the Variance of 2, the route from E to B to A is then allowed as a feasible sucessor route.

As for a variance of 3, well that won't work at all. Becasue the distance from D to A is 25 which is higher than the feasible distance of 20 through router C from Router E to Router A. Basically becasue the bath E to D to A is 45 it will not become a feasible sucessor at all even with a variance of 3.

I know some are like well that's beyond CCNA, but the problem is this I wasn't understanding CCNA stuff staying at CCNA level. I only understand STP by learning it at a CCIE level, before that when they instructor said 'it's out of the scope' i got lost because in order for me to process thing I need to see it from the whole picture not just part of it.
    Okay, this makes a lot more sense to me now. I actually admire the fact that you never give up. Keep pushing no matter what. I don't have a learning disability but some of the Cisco concepts take me many tries to learn also.. And I will forget them over time too.

Also, take advantage of the extra time on the exam. No reason to be at a disadvantage man.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I passed the CCNA on my 4th attempt. Don't give up.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    like here, this concept of EIGRP sucessor and feasible sucessor took me no joke like 36 hours to understand just this concept alone, no joke. I think I read like 15 websites and even used the cisco.com explanation before it finally clicked...

Same boat with me; simply wasn't "getting" eigrp at all.

It took a few (patient) people on this site, explaining it using NORMAL WORDS, before i finally GRASPED it.
    Then i had to DRAW a PICTURE just to make sure that i STILL got it :]

Use whatever technique works for you....

I'm trying to learn SPanish for the 1st time. (Talk about CHANGING the way you think) YEESH!
    The thought of me trying to take one of these certification tests in Espanol....
    lol
    can definitely begin to understand where you're coming from :]

Too bad these tests aren't Demonstration-based;
    i'd bet a much different outcome...
    At least the good news is in the real world you probably won't see EIGRP anyway icon_wink.gif
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that man, was checking your blog and lab set up the other day- great set up! Try and stay positive mate, you clearly know a lot of the information maybe just need to focus on the strange way they ask their questions?

It's a crazy situation where Cisco, MS and others spend more time on wording questions stupidly and long windedly to throw people off- just make it simple and test people's knowledge of the topics not ridiculously worded questions for f*** sake! I've used what I've learnt with CCENT and some CCNA material to better myself, improve knowledge and do well on tech tests for jobs so not having the cert isn't a massive deal to me- why waste money on a 'test' designed to screw you over?
    Sorry to hear that man, was checking your blog and lab set up the other day- great set up! Try and stay positive mate, you clearly know a lot of the information maybe just need to focus on the strange way they ask their questions?

It's a crazy situation where Cisco, MS and others spend more time on wording questions stupidly and long worded to throw people off- just make it simple and test people's knowledge of the topics not ridiculously worded questions for f*** sake! I've used what I've learned with CCENT and some CCNA material to better myself, improve knowledge and do well on tech tests for jobs so not having the cert isn't a massive deal to me- why waste money on a 'test' designed to screw you over?

Indeed, basically living in Boson now. It's the wording of the questions that gets me and I take time to process questions. 1 to 2 minutes per questions isn't always possible when the sentences aren't clear. most of the time I get hung up on question and devote 3 to 6 minutes on them because there wording is meant to confuse you.

I'm always learning something with my studies but I'm getting to the point now in my review that watching the countless videos I have from 6+ instructors, across Udemy, CBT Nuggets, Pluralsight, and INE, is getting boring cause I'm not learning anything new...

sticking with Boson until I get 100% on it. But this does give the conception that I'm brain dumping, I'm so not...

I tend to agree with some it's just a money cow for Cisco, it's really not in there best interest for you to pass on the 1st attempt.
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Keep going man, you have got this! I just worry when I see guys like you, who clearly know their stuff and have amazing home labs and deal with the tech a lot, fail these exams I just wonder why should I bother. I'm a bit ADHD it seems and flit between lots of different tech and interests but I always wanted to nail a Cisco cert and get some extra MS ones so need to focus. My son is nearly 4 and showing an interest in my geekiness so I may just explain some of the stuff to him, not because he cares but I find it helps when you explain concepts to people as well as read, watch videos and such like! Don't give up mate- keep going and you will smash this exam!
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Round 2, ICDN2.

Except I'm an hour early. Misread the clock on the appointment in the email..

/facepalm
    Better than an hour late. I hope you did well!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hear you, I just missed my 2nd ICND 2 attempt with an 801. Some of the questions definitely caught me off guard and I've also learned Cisco has a way with wording their questions...
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
    Keep going man, you have got this! I just worry when I see guys like you, who clearly know their stuff and have amazing home labs and deal with the tech a lot, fail these exams I just wonder why should I bother. I'm a bit ADHD it seems and flit between lots of different tech and interests but I always wanted to nail a Cisco cert and get some extra MS ones so need to focus. My son is nearly 4 and showing an interest in my geekiness so I may just explain some of the stuff to him, not because he cares but I find it helps when you explain concepts to people as well as read, watch videos and such like! Don't give up mate- keep going and you will smash this exam!

Well once I finish this exam, I'm probably going to do a video series on CCNA. It will help me work up towards CCNP but at the same time keep these other skill sharp.

I'm not giving up, just doing this from a different angle this time. Maybe I just need to find the right path up the mountain to get to the top. I'm going to try the harder and icier path this time and see how it does for me now...