Networking The future, Where do you see it?

The_Network_EngineerThe_Network_Engineer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all out there im just wondering where do you see networking in about 5 years even a short time leaves open for big changes. I mean Server Hardware is even changing from SCSI to SAS(Serial Attached SCSI) and Even personal computing thrends aka EIDE/ATA133 is even getting upgraded to Serial. Which promises to be both alot faster, with the needs of servers increasing we reqire alot more processing power ram etc and faster network cards. I remember when i was younger though im not that old at all but back where i was it was "uncool" to like computers but now everyone seems to be using them. MSN,shutters AIM! etc and even Email. Everyone seems to be burning music etc even non nerds. So i say the impact of the internet is sigifent because without the Internet we wouldnt be so interconnected. So yea.

Speaking of such, Security grows more of a problem when you have more to risk on the internet. Companies depend on it even more for their critial bussiness affairs and all. So Where do you see Security and Networking. I know they go hand to hand but im instrested in all your views.

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Use your imagination freely!

Megaterabit speeds. Wireless will be colossal. Can't even imagine internet possiblities. Super-humongous mass storage--there's never enough storage.

But, you have a handle on it, your golden oportunity, or your downfall, will be security. Firms are now Growing their own security staff from the brightest and the best.

Problem--can antivirus ever get sophisticated enough in the above described possibilities--hackers are going to be just as fast and just as big, and just as stealthy, just as smart, just not as ethical--have access to the same technology. Spooky! Bigger prisons? It's never worked for the "run-of-the-mill" criminals.

Kind of dampened my own enthusiasm. Maybe we don't want to know.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Mass metropolitan size wireless networks, and home internet, phone, and t.v. connected via fiber in every home. And of course security will become more paranoid, and even more ineffective.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • The_Network_EngineerThe_Network_Engineer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    oh yea the future is getting better :) and If they need hteir own staff its possable to work security full time :) nice job security its kindof sad from hackers and such the security industry for computer networks and all other trained security personal get a job boost and job security for the fact its a on going thing
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Oh yeah, and a 10Gb fiber welded into my cereberal cortex. Can't forget that.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • mynameisboringmynameisboring Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ....I don't mean to knock you guys to earth but if we are talking 5 yrs, what most people will use are what is new today. Ever seen how quickly regular employees get computer upgrades???

I tend to think that people move towards what is easiest - like electrical current. So keep your eyes open for EASY MASS APPEALS.
  • The_Network_EngineerThe_Network_Engineer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Look how CPUS evoled in a year. IM talkign about everything included of ne tworking AKA CPUS ETC everything. Networking does rereqire compents. Those get imrpoved service is improved.
    so really 5 years is alot of time for the IT industry
  • jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Look how CPUS evoled in a year. IM talkign about everything included of ne tworking AKA CPUS ETC everything. Networking does rereqire compents. Those get imrpoved service is improved.
    so really 5 years is alot of time for the IT industry

say what? icon_confused.gif
  • KingKKingK Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think everythign is gonna go wireless. It seems theres a big push for it, we are already getting past the 11mbps mark in wi-fi.

If they could somehow downsize existing cellphone/ Radio Frequency technology to work on 802.11b on home and small bussiness networks, wed have somethign there.

IM sure everything will be unplugged and hotswappable int he future.
    Behold the future!

*touch-screens built-in to the restrooms in certain icon_eek.gif 'clubs'
    *wireless net everywhere allowing the goverment to track your everymove
    *robot butlers in everyhouse
    *one person ruling the earth and that person is me!

forgive me, its late :D
  • seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    the future is security from all the people that build unsecure networks from lack of experience and nhands on experience then we come and secure them icon_lol.gif

i dont mind it means we have an occupation icon_rolleyes.gif
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    if ur in charge can u lift the speed limits so i can drive like my car was meant to be driven!!! icon_cool.gif
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • KingKKingK Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    *wireless net everywhere allowing the goverment to track your everymove

Thats already here, has been for a while. Check out GPS.

The next thing with GPS is e911 which will allow them to track where your position is with a cellphone.

They already have it in cars (I think the GM service is Viewstar? or something).
  • bitstreambitstream Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do not see a huge change, the internet as a global medium still has to go at the pace of lower end technology. If anything the whole system will gradually slow down as more people use it , it may even become un-useable, how about that. More of the same I think.
    seth223uk wrote:
    if ur in charge can u lift the speed limits so i can drive like my car was meant to be driven!!! icon_cool.gif

Your wish is granted my citizen! I hereby remove all speed limits from all roads. :P
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    KingK -
    Cell tracking has been with us for years. They just don't talk about it too much as it is how they nail a large number of crims

seth223uk -
    I drive that way now icon_lol.gif

bitstream -
    Right on the money dood. My ADSL is a whole lot slower now that everybody in my neighborhood have taken up on it icon_confused.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    I'm not talking about cell tracking, i'm talking anything and everything that uses a wireless connection. besides cellphones don't use 802.11 now do they? thats what i'm talking about.

I doubt the internet will get slower. If an ISP has more customers then they will add a bigger pipe. There are already pipes plenty big that no one uses such as the high SONET connections. they are far too expensive but if you have the customer base then you can afford it, we are not there yet. If your connection is slower than thats a problem you should resolve with your ISP since your paying for that speed. It's not the result of more customers, i can basically guarantee that because pretty much all DSL connections are capped at a certain rate and the main pipe is according to the amount of customers and their rates. The only ones i know of that arent capped are ones which are being beta tested.
  • cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Until wireless exceeds 100 Mbps, I don't see it taking over. Also, the lack of security will force it to go through many changes over the years. I don't think it will ever replace wired as a medium simply because of the speed of wired. The wireless convenience is nice, but the lack of throughput makes it second to wired.

Cheeblie
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jlambert -
    ADSL is more or less like dial-up ... the more connections you have on a line the slower it will get. ISPs make all sorts of claims and excuses, however if they have a 10 unit connection and use spliters to double that things will get awful slow if everybody is sending/recieving data. The ISPs take a gamble that a) most users are ignorant of the true capabilities of their connection, b) most users are not that technically minded, and c) how often will they have everybody sendiing/recieving mondo data. Usually when they are caught out is during school holiday time when the kiddies are home and perhaps someone like myself is home studying and notice the dawdle icon_confused.gif

cheeb -
    No kidding dood. Besides, I ran a frequency spectrometer from home recently and was astounded at the activity zipping around. Forget living a long and healty life as if this trend continues we are all gonna have microwaved brains before we are old enough for other health problems icon_rolleyes.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    I don't see how that makes any sense at all. Both DSL and dial-up are direct links to the ISP. Everything I have ever read including what I have learned from working with people at my ISP personally is that you get the speed you paid for. The only time the speed should ever fluctuate based on how many people are on is if you are using a cable connection which is a shared medium.

I'm not trying to argue, just trying to understand.