CEH Study Track

cwelbercwelber Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have the CISSP and most of the CompTIA+ certs. I was wondering what folks her would recommend in regards to study materials for CEH (current version).

What are the recommended study guides?
Labs?
Test Questions?
Is there combined notes available in this forum like there was for CISSP?
How much time do I need to study for it do you think?

Thanks to the Techexams.net Guru's!

Comments

• tomatotuxtomatotux Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you hold the CISSP I'd almost say you can pass this with your eyes closed. Just took mine Sat and passed, and the material doesn't cover the breadth of the CISSP or the depth. I used Matt Walkers AIO, Cybrary.it, and skillset for the practice exams and then I built a home lab using virtualbox, but I'm broke so hey...
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    tomatotux wrote: »
    If you hold the CISSP I'd almost say you can pass this with your eyes closed. Just took mine Sat and passed, and the material doesn't cover the breadth of the CISSP or the depth. I used Matt Walkers AIO, Cybrary.it, and skillset for the practice exams and then I built a home lab using virtualbox, but I'm broke so hey...

I second this. I did mine just before the exam revision, and just read the Matt Walker AIO and did the Boson practice tests. Probably the Boson tests haven't been updated yet for the new exam. The AIO is still recommended by most of the people who have passed since the revision, along with other study. Even when I did the exam, there were things on the Boson which weren't covered in the AIO, although I think a good amount of that would be in the CISSP. Cybrary is getting a lot of votes, too.

The other thing is to check the current "objectives" for the v9 course and make sure you have covered those, too.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    See my suggestions at http://www.techexams.net/forums/ec-council-ceh-chfi/115368-stupid-ceh.html#post984109

Also took CEH after CISSP. I got 76% for the assessment without prior study.
  • renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have CISSP and C|EH and I disagree with those saying that a CISSP should be able to breeze through the C|EH exam with no prep. An experienced pentester or OSCP should be able to pass the C|EH cold; maybe an experienced SOC analyst; but a CISSP whose background is in risk, compliance, auditing, software dev, etc., with no pentest/red-team/blue-team experience who's never used Backtrack/Kali, Wireshark, Nmap, etc., will be humbled by the C|EH if they go in cold.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    renacido wrote: »
    I have CISSP and C|EH and I disagree with those saying that a CISSP should be able to breeze through the C|EH exam with no prep.

No one here is saying without any prep. I think that if you have the ability to pass CISSP, then you can certainly pass CEH. I think prep is needed even for an active, experienced pentester. Maybe the difference is how long that prep will take. But if you compare the 1000pp+ CISSP book to the ~600pp CEH book, already it's 60% of the work ;)
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    As @OctalDump said. The amount of prep required depends on your existing knowledge.

Perform the knowledge gap analysis (risk assessment) by doing the EC Council Web site assessment.
    Then check out course outline and read up on areas you are not familiar with such as Nmap. A significant portion of CEH topics such as crypto, web vulnerabilities, networking, ALE overlaps with what you learned in CISSP.
    Passing mark is 70%. Your CISSP knowledge probably contributes 50%. Revise them and study the new CEH material to reduce risk of failure down to an acceptable level.
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    renacido wrote: »
    I have CISSP and C|EH and I disagree with those saying that a CISSP should be able to breeze through the C|EH exam with no prep.

I agree. If you look around you will see people who have failed CEH and who hold the CISSP certification.
    Anything can happen. I heard about a CISSP who failed Security+. Apparently Security+ was too technical. icon_redface.gif