When a cert gets retired, does that mean it's no longer active?

Hi guys,

Just curious. I see the 98-365 cert is retiring July, 2016. I just got mine in October. I know Microsoft certs last 3 years. Does this mean mine won't be active anymore?

Comments

• Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517

I know Microsoft certs last 3 years. Does this mean mine won't be active anymore?

I think you may be mixing up Cisco certifications and Microsoft certifications. Cisco certs will last for 3 years from the time you get them unless renewed. Microsoft certs simply last until the exam itself is retired, not a predefined period of time.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Vask3n wrote: »
    I think you may be mixing up Cisco certifications and Microsoft certifications. Cisco certs will last for 3 years from the time you get them unless renewed. Microsoft certs simply last until the exam itself is retired, not a predefined period of time.

I'm curious about his question from a Cisco perspective - "Voice" is being retired in favor of "Collaboration". I do not have either, but would those that have "Voice" continue to see it renewed whenever they renew their other same-level certs, even if it's no longer available new, or would it eventually sunset?
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most of the Microsoft certs do not expire. My MCSE in Windows 2000 is still valid and it is listed as a "legacy" certification.

However, the newer MCSE and MCSD require recertification. This is a new policy from Microsoft.

AFAIK, it does not apply to MCSA and MTA.
    I assume you got MTA from 98-365.
  • systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    Mike7 wrote: »
    Most of the Microsoft certs do not expire. My MCSE in Windows 2000 is still valid and it is listed as a "legacy" certification.

However, the newer MCSE and MCSD require recertification. This is a new policy from Microsoft.

AFAIK, it does not apply to MCSA and MTA.
    I assume you got MTA from 98-365.

Yes. I have the MTa 98-365. So, this cert doesn't expire? Neither do MCSA's?
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes. MTA and MCSA do not require recertification for now.

The MCSE/MCSD recertification note can be found at https://www.microsoft.com/en-eg/learning/mcse-certification.aspx
    Q.Do I need to recertify my MCSE and, if so, what are the requirements?
    A. Yes, recertification is required. To recertify your MCSE certification, you must pass the applicable recertification exam once every three years.
    Between August 2014 and March 2015, recertification exams will be released for all MCSE and MCSD specialities. Recertification exams will cover material from the exams taken to originally earn the credential, with particular emphasis on the most recent product and process changes. Recertification deadlines for all MCSE and MCSD credential holders will be examined and adjusted, if needed, to ensure that these individuals have at least 12 months to take and pass the recertification exam.

Not sure about MTA, you should be able to login to certification portal at https://mcp.microsoft.com to check your certification status.