Passed CSSLP 30th Oct 2015

Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
This is my first exam review so do bear with me. icon_redface.gif

Took CSSLP exam today at Pearson. Exam duration is 4 hours and consist of 175 questions. This is my second ISC2 exam, the first was CISSP in end March this year. Finished most of the questions in about an hour, did 3 rounds of review and click submit with about 2 hours reminding. I was certain that I have at least 80% of the answers correct.

Comments about the exam? Without violating the NDA, I can say that this is a managerial type exam that focuses on your understanding of stages and characteristics of the typical SDLC (software development lifecycle). The 8 CSSLP domains maps into a nice chronological process; concept -> requirements -> design -> coding -> testing -> acceptance -> deployment & operations. The 8th domain supply chain was added later. You need to know what and why certain tasks are carried out during each phase, and characteristics of the different software methodologies and standards.

This is an exam for those who have been through application development lifecycle. Someone without programming knowledge is able to pass the exam but will find the study materials dry as they lack the hands-on experience and point of reference. Sort of like studying for ITIL without having any IT operations experience. Or PMP without project management experience. Do-able but you may end up sleeping instead. icon_wink.gif

My study materials were CSSLP AIO as the main exam guide with Offical CSSLP CBK (2nd edition) as reading supplement. The AIO is a no-nonsense exam guide. The CBK is comfortable read and refresher; I do wish that the author did not use the "As a CSSLP.." phrase that often. icon_sad.gif

By the way, ISC2 members are eligible for 50% off (ISC)2 official study guides and CBK textbooks. Login to https://www.isc2.org/memberhome.aspx for details.

Comments

• havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's great!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • kukkukukku Member Posts: 130 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Mike..
  • kiransav07kiransav07 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your achievement !
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Mike!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and great review, this one interests me. How long did you spend preparing?
  • kiransav07kiransav07 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    zxbane wrote: »
    Congrats and great review, this one interests me. How long did you spend preparing?

Started reading from end August. So about 2 months of reading, and waiting.
    I ordered exam voucher in August and only received it just last week.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Super congrats! icon_cheers.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • jasonperry10jasonperry10 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Finally received endorsement mail. icon_cheers.gif

Timeline
    30th Oct(Friday): Passed exam
    1st Nov(Sunday): submit endorsement (ISC2 to endorse aka audit). I included HR letter listing my job titles for past 9 years and my CISSP, MCAD and MCSD certs.
    2nd Nov(Monday): acknowledgement by ISC2
    4th Dec(Friday): CSSLP awarded email => 5 weeks

Time to update LinkedIn :)
  • hilldhilld Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmm, I have my acknowledgement by ISC2 dated Nov 3rd, still haven't seen anything yet. Since I am only a day behind you in the queue, hopefully I will get something in the next week.

When you said, endorsement mail, as in physical mail or email?

Thanks.
    Email. I lived across the Pacific Ocean in sunny Singapore so physical mail takes weeks to reach me from ISC2 Florida.
    Oh, there is hope as I won't be home for another week. Currently taking a SANS class. icon_cheers.gif
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well done.. congrats
  • spk001spk001 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats from another recent CSSLP taker - I passed it on Saturday!

I also used the CBK book as well as the AIO book, although I did also use the studiscope practice test tool as a review and pointer to where I was weak on the material and a couple of youtube SDLC presentations.

While I was looking at the new endorsement form I noticed that unlike most of the other ISC2 certs, the CSSLP mentions "recent experience" though I haven't been able to find a time limit, nor did I find a reference to a time limit on the ISC2 site. Did anyone else notice that and have a pointer to further information?
    Congrats! Any plans to do a detailed CSSLP review? 😊

Are you getting another CSSLP to endorse you? Or ISC2 to do it?
    I had it done by ISC2. I am not aware of any time limit for experience, my stretched all the way to 10 years back and add up to more than the required number of years.
  • spk001spk001 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't believe you need a CSSLP for the endorsement, any member of ISC2 "in good standing" should be okay, and since it's much easier to find CISSP members I'm planning on asking a CISSP holder for the endorsement.
    You are right!

From https://www.isc2.org/uploadedfiles/certification_programs/endorsement.pdf, it seems that any ISC2 certified person can endorse you. So can be CAP, SSCP, CISSP, CSSLP.....
    So it took exactly 6 weeks for the endorsement to come in. It might have been sooner, but the ISC2 member section of the website was down for 4 days for planned maintenance.
  • jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • veronica321veronica321 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats.. Could you please tell me are there any beta questions in CSSLP like in CISSP.
    Congrats.. Could you please tell me are there any beta questions in CSSLP like in CISSP.

There is supposed to be as per https://www.isc2.org/certification-register-now.aspx.
    Each of these exams contains 25 questions which are included for research purposes only.

However, the questions are not tagged as beta. I did not encounter any questions that are very much different from others.

• veronica321veronica321 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Could you please tell me how to get the voucher for CSSLP. I didnt find ISC2 under the test program section.

Voucher store :: Pearson VUE

I passed CISSP by scheduling at pearsonvue (USD 599) and not used any voucher.
    Could you please tell me how to get the voucher for CSSLP. I didnt find ISC2 under the test program section.

I passed CISSP by scheduling at pearsonvue (USD 599) and not used any voucher.
    My apologies for the confusion. You can make direct payment just like CISSP.

The voucher is for Singapore only. Citizens get 50% exam fee rebate from government upon passing and getting endorse.

PM me for details if you are a Singaporean. :)