New to MS certs

CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have been a net admin for about 4 years. I am really interested in obtaining up to the MSCE server cert, but I really don't know where to start.

I feel very comfortable with Microsoft and I think that the MTA might be a little to slow for me, should I start with MCSA?

I have been looking for info on the 410 exam, but its literally everywhere. I do better if I work from maybe two or three sources studying from an exam, so what sources would be my best?

Any advice on the 410 exam would be greatly appreciated!

CS

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some resources I am using in my studies for the MCSA/MCSE include:

-Udemy courses by Infinite Skills
    -Microsoft TechNet white papers, documentation, knowledgebase
    -Techexams.net ;)
    -Books/study guides
    MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-410, 70-411, 70-412, and 70-417: William Panek: 9781118859919: Amazon.com: Books
    -CBT Nuggets/YouTube

Hope this helps :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Microsoft's Virtual Academy which has free CBT style videos - https://mva.microsoft.com/
    Technet Virtual Labs - free virtual labs - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/
    6 Months Free to Pluralsight.com CBT videos - http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/115853-microsoft-visual-studio-dev-essentials-6-months-pluralsight-free.html

Edit: Also know PowerShell!!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So is it worth buying the official study guide or using UDEMY, Tehnet etc...
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The official training guides were really good, best I found. Poulton's 410 book is also good. Exam Refs and Panek weren't helpful.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    So is it worth buying the official study guide or using UDEMY, Tehnet etc...

I think a combination of resources will help you out. This includes not only passing the exam but also enforcing the knowledge and understanding the material in a strong fashion. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Standard advice:
    * lab with at least 3 VMs. The MS online labs are good, too, but you need some hands on with Hyper-V and with installation which is best done on real hardware.
    * the official books from MS seem to be better options. Sybex books haven't been great.
    * some video (can't think of any specifics to recommend) for when you need a break from reading and labbing
    * read the objectives and get hands on with everything
    * don't be afraid to explore outside of the objectives

The 70-410 is probably about the right level if you have some experience with Windows Server already, and get most of the theory for IP/DNS/VPN, file permissions, AD, replication, etc etc
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Thanks for the study resource information. :)
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My success came from ITPro.TV (they have a remote lab you can access in 2 hour blocks as well as 2 Transcender exams a month), CBT Nuggets PowerShell course, TechNet, TestOut, and the following books:

the Training Guides from Microsoft Press, the Group Policy book by Moskowitz, Active Directory by Desmond, and Mastering Server 2012 R2 by Minasi.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA