VIRL for CCIE route switch study

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey guys,

what do you guys think of VIRL? question. Do the IOSs come with the software and does VIRL send updates when they are updated? how much is every year 200.00 each time to keep the software working else it stops working?

And is this the same sim that is for the CCIE Lab exam? no more hardware just sotfware sim to take the LAB?
where can I Get information on the CCIE LAB exam for R/S that show what features i can use from teh VIRL like any shortcut techniques in the sotfware for speed? I am thiking once i get my TSHOOT done I will study for CCIE and see where it takes me ;)
good luck men!

Comments

• koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't need IOS images with VIRL. It has the same problems as IOU for L2. It can't do a lot of things the workbooks require. So you will still need to buy physical switches or rack rent for L2. As far as L3, I think it's the same as L3 IOU or GNS3. In other words, you don't really need it. It's a cool toy to have though, for IOS XR and ASAs, even though the latter can be set up in GNS3 anyway. I know it has NX-OS too but I'm not sure what it supports or doesn't support on that end.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    There's certainly limitations with going virtual but remember this: The CCIE R&S lab exam is completely virtual and has the same limitations as well now. I was sitting in Narbik's bootcamp this week and he did mention that it's a little known fact that because v5 of the exam is virtual, its not so much of a QoS and Multicast exam as it was before. :)

Are you going to finish up your CCNP first? Here's one thing to bear in mind: There's an ENORMOUS gap of knowledge between the CCNP and CCIE. There's no books out there geared towards bridging that gap specifically but I know Narbik is finishing up writing one. He's working with CiscoPress on it but in the event that they don't publish it, he was mentioning that he would put it online and just sell it for $20 or something. He mentioned it in this FB post: https://www.facebook.com/CCIE.narbik/posts/1688368444732207

I think he's looking to submit the final draft early next year. Might be good for your studies.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Iris, thanks that sounds exactly like what I'll need. I'm TSHOOT away from CCNP and wasn't aware Narbik was working on something like this. Already picked up his Foundation workbooks which are great so I'll definitely be getting this book.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    iristheangel thanks so much for the tip. i really want to attend narbiks course i read alot about his camp . question why would you attend his camp if you already have your ccie ?
    Because I want to get a different CCIE :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    good for you dude amazing
    irist how much is his ccie r s boot camp ?
    There's a 5 day ($2900) and 10 day ($4500). I highly recommend the 10 day one. They give you "Foundations" workbooks to do and recommend doing them first. Make sure you get through them before you ever go to the class.

Edit: He also takes learning credits.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What about the Cisco CCIE Lab Builder from The Cisco Learning Network ?

What's Included
    • Access to the actual CCIE Routing and Switching virtual lab environment you'll be tested in during the CCIE Routing and Switching Version 5 Lab Exam
    • The ability to configure lab topologies up to 20 nodes
    • 24-hour-a-day access
    I have access to Lab Builder. Eh. Wasn't very impressed to be honest. I never use it. I stick with VIRL and GNS3 most of the time.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    I think the Lab Builder is based on IOU. You can just set up IOU in GNS3 yourself anyway.