Scheduled LFCS exam for this coming Friday (Dec. 11)

So after purchasing a discounted voucher from Linux Foundation this summer and going over their prep material, Linux Academy's course on LFCS and Sander Van Vugt's guide on RHCSA for RH7, and after getting an unexpected but welcomed break from work for these few days, I decided to schedule my LFCS exam for this coming Friday.
I am currently reading through man pages of commands used to accomplish objectives of LFCS, will later re-do a great list of self-paced labs and also read all my notes I took while preparing for RHCSA exam that I didn't pass.
Anything in particular that I should be aware of regarding this exam? I chose to take the CentOS 7 version...

Comments

• JassimarkJassimark Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Varelg, good luck for tomorrow...you can do it...I passed LFCS last week on my 2nd try. It was a free retake. Try to manage your time and don't spend too much time on something if you get stuck. I made this mistake and that was the reason i failed it on my first try. I couldn't able to finish it. Looking forward to hearing from you soon regarding the result. Best of luck again.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just got in on the Black friday/Cyber Monday Linux foundation deal.

Looking forward to see your results and summary. Good luck.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Thank you guys for all the good wishes!
    I just finished the exam. It is everything its objectives are describing it to be. I left few tasks unfinished. They weren't weighing much, so I hope it won't be the something that would bring the score below the threshold.
    First impression is what I was asked at this exam isn't very helpful at work. It is definitely easier than RHCSA. Having said that, some extra time would definitely have been helpful. After Feb. 2 of 2016, Linux Foundation is drastically expanding exam objectives for this exam, without announcing if they would add more time to complete the tasks. Even core tasks of the new exam would be hard to achieve if they don't expand the time for the exam.
    Knowing that I got a free re-take also helps. Now I know what to look for.
    Don't worry about the 1 pointers if you were able to finish all the 4-5-6-9 pointers. Yeah, you are right about time management, is always the issue in these performance based exams. I scored 60% on my first try but needed 74% to pass it. I was only able to finish 18-19 questions out of 25 questions because i wasted too much time earlier on. Then I scored 82% on my second try last week and left couple of questions unanswered because of time, but hey, pass is a pass.
    It is definitely easier than RHCSA.

Now this is the first I've heard of since anyone has taken the exam. Hopefully I'll be ready by September to sit for it as I need that much time to study.
    After Feb. 2nd they are expanding exam objectives and it will be a more difficult exam. And in less time than what Red Hat gives you.
    varelg wrote: »
    After Feb. 2nd they are expanding exam objectives and it will be a more difficult exam. And in less time than what Red Hat gives you.

Did you submit your feedback to the foundation about this?
    No. I actually don't have much interest in pursuing this cert as I considered taking the exam as a sort of dry run before RHCSA, it was a discounted voucher that came with training material and that draw me in. Otherwise would not give much thought about LFCS. Isaw now that I was wrong about the dry run part.
    I am waiting for the results and see if I have to re-take the exam or have already passed. But this is where it ends for me with Linux Foundation.
    Did not pass. 52% but 74% required to pass. Of course will re-take after ironing out on some details.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    At least you tried than not giving it a shot at all unlike some people I know. I believe you can get the next one, but don't get discouraged if you don't. Even though I didn't get it, that's not going to stop me from getting the RHCSA/RHCE someday.
    I know you will pass it next time dude. Now you have a better idea about type of questions and what areas you need to brush up. At least Linux Foundation offers free retake, otherwise I wouldn't have spent another $300 for this exam. I hope other certs like LPIC follow the same path, because I'm taking LPIC-2 Exam-201 in couple of weeks, and there is no free retake, that sukz.
    Thank you guys for the encouragement. I definitely saw what is actually required to pass this exam. Sad part is, out of the exam context, you won't get to use much of what you learned when you prepare for this exam . At least certain parts that weigh heavy on the exam but out of the exam realm aren't critical or important as much.
    I am highly optimistic that I'll pass on the retake. Which I'll probably do end of January 2016.
    Jassimark, I hope other exams don't follow the LF path in terms of expiration. LF certs last only two years. LPIC lasts 5 years. No free retakes but you spend on LF I think double than on LPIC just to keep your LF cert current. I hope LPIC follows LF example in the delivery of the exam though. Now that I sat two performance exams, I think performance exams are the way to go. If LPIC switches to performance-based exams that are delivered just like LF delivers them (you can take the exam at home, just follow instructions and requirements), but with a bit of expanded time (30 minutes, nothing more) and keep the 5-year period in which the cert is current, that'd be ideal. That'd make even Red Hat re-think their way of delivering exams.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    Sad part is, out of the exam context, you won't get to use much of what you learned when you prepare for this exam . At least certain parts that weigh heavy on the exam but out of the exam realm aren't critical or important as much.

This is the same way I feel about the exam. That's why I don't plan on taking LFCS again soon unless I get another $50 opportunity. The only way they'll traction is if they get rid of the useless tasks that most admins could easily google up in a matter of seconds.
    Has anyone else sat for this exam lately?