Options

Passed 801 and 802! - Experienced IT

Rexford88Rexford88 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

First of all, a bit of background about myself:

- I've been working in the IT field for 6 years, 1 year on the road and 5 years in a multinational corporation as level 2 and level 3 IT technical support.

- I'm 27 years old

- I always assumed the CompTIA A+ certification was some kind of base IT certification for people not in the IT world.

--

Not so long ago, my IT contract for the multinational ended, so I was back into looking for a job. When sending some resume and searching for opportunity, I decided that, since I had free time, I could do a bunch of certifications, which could help me lend a new job.

I remembered the A+ Certification was somewhat useful to lend an entry job in the IT field. I though it couldn't hurt if I had this certification so last thursday I applied to pass both exams, 801 and 802, on friday the next day.

While I was thrilled and already thinking about what next certification I could complete, I decided to try the practice test and do a bit of studying. What I discovered was a harsh reality. Not only I didn't pass my practice test, but they were a BUNCH of questions not specially related to the IT job I was doing. That's when I realized I were extremely cocky to think I could pass the exam without any study.

I did the 801 on friday morning, I took the whole 90 minutes, reviewing every questions, changing answers, trying to think about tricky questions. I ended up barely passing the 801. As soon I was out of the testing center, I did study the whole time I had left for the 802, and I did pass him without issue.

Here's my tips:

- If you are an experienced IT tech, and you want to take that exam, help yourself: Study and take those practice test prior to the exams.

- I did find the 801 harder than the 802, probably because the 801 is more theorical and the 802 is more practical.

- Don't book both test on the same day. If I would had fail my first exam, I would have been depressed the whole day and probably would had failed my 802.

--

I hope this help some of you! If you have any questions, don't hesitate! Also, do any of you have any kind of recommendation on which next certification I could take on? I was hesitating between Linux+, Security+, Project+, MCSA.

Thank you!

P-S: English isn't my first language so I apologize for the typos in my text.

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What area of IT do you want to specialize in? Networking? Security?

Those would be some questions that can help us guide you in the right direction. However, the most common path is to do the CompTIA certs: Net+, Security+ in addition to the A+ to give you a solid foundation. ;)

Afterwards you can then specialize or move into the direction and discipline that interests you.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    scottishkiwiscottishkiwi Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing!

I'm studying for my Prince2 exam right now which is tomorrow but since I also have an IT tech support background thought I would just jump straight into the A+ exams directly after this however from your post now wondering if I also should take some time to do a bit of study first!
    2016 : CompTIA Network+ (Jan) [X], CompTIA Storage+ (Jan) [X], CompTIA Security+ (Feb) [X], Cisco ICND1 (Feb) [X], MS 70-410 (Mar) [X], Cisco ICND2 (Mar) [X], Juniper JNCIA-Junos (Apr) [ ], Amazon AWS CSA (Apr) [ ], VMWare VCP-DCV (May) [X], MS 70-409 (May) [X], MS 70-411+412 (May) [ ]
    2015 : ITIL Foundations (Dec) [X], PRINCE2 Foundation (Dec) [X], CompTIA A+ (Dec) [X]
  • Options
    Rexford88Rexford88 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dakinggamer87 - Thank you for your advice! I plan to stick to the IT General support / Infrastructure. I will probably also aim for the IT Management, so I'm thinking about the ITIL, Prince2 and PMP.

Scottishkiwi - Thank you! Good luck for your exam tomorrow! Prince2 is definitely on my to-do list. I would recommend to study a bit, specially the speed of various USB, Firewire etc... Also they ask a lot of question about cable, cat3, cat5, coaxial, fiber etc... which I didn't had a lot of experience prior to the exam.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you want to go into management long-term then ITIL, PMP would definitely help. I would add a Master's degree as well which will help you go further into that path as well. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    ashleyykkashleyykk Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've passed my 801 in May, in my opinion I think it was pretty easy, because of what you said before. It's more theorical. Taking my 802 this Tuesday, Im only a junior in high school, enrolled in a Cisco program. Any advice for the 802??
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□