LPIC-2 117-201 Exam 201, Part 1 of 2

JassimarkJassimark Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have scheduled this exam on Monday, December 28th, by the end of this month. I have been studying the LPIC-2 Study Guide, Sybex for the past couple of months, doing all the exercises/labs on my CentOS-7 system, going over all the additional content on the CD (Flashcards, Chapter Quizzes, Practice Exam). Is there anything else I need to cover to pass this exam? I haven't seen much information about this exam on this forum who passed it. Any pointers regarding this exam would be appreciated. I want to hear from all the members who passed/failed this exam. Thanks.

Comments

• masqmasq Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi! You could check my "success story" here - http://www.techexams.net/forums/lpi-rhce-sair/115895-passed-lpic-201-a.html
    Good luck!
    2018:
    • RHCE
  • junilinuxjunilinux Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hope that everything will be going well Jass. Keep confident in your knowledge and go ahead
    By the way, I am going to take LPIC 1-101 maybe in the next 2 months and I just follow the Comptia Linux+ Study Guide, Sybex by newest edition, is that enough?
    As I have had a look around this forum, almost everyone just sticks with LPIC-1 with no target to reach to LPIC-2. Personally I think that the knowledge that they gained from LPIC 1 is enough for their job and they are going to switch to other field so far
  • JassimarkJassimark Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Junilinux, I would recommend you to go through Linux+ route, instead of LPIC-1 because you can earn 3 certifications by just passing both of the Linux+ exams. That's what I did earlier this year. I passed both of the CompTIA Linux+ exams and got certifications from Linux+, LPIC-1, and Suse CLA.
    As far as study material, I also used the same textbook that you are using, and all the additional content on the Sybex Test Bank website to pass both of my Linux+ exams. So you are on the right track. I also had access to Linux Academy videos and practice exams at that time. I have discontinued my membership now. They have some great content if you can afford it. I'll find that out in couple of weeks if that was wise or not. Lol.
    masq wrote: »
    Hi!
    You could check my thread in LPI forum - "Passed Lpic-201", it's still on the main page i guess.

Great... thanks masq, I'm gonna check it out now. Appreciated.
    I'm taking this exam tomorrow afternoon at 1:30 PST, will update this thread with my results, pass or fail. I think I'm ready but you never know. I have gone through the study material multiple times now and will see if it was enough to pass this exam. Unlike LFCS, I won't have to wait for my scoring report after this exam.
    icon_cheers.gifI passed this exam with 740 score out of 800 max. I just needed 500 to pass it. I was a bit nervous before this exam but actually did much better than I expected. After I reviewed my answers, I knew that I got at least 50 questions right and I guessed the remaining 10 to the best of my knowledge, lots of fill in the blanks questions. I don’t know exactly how many questions I got wrong but I’m just happy that I’m done with this one. For the Linux+LPIC-1 Exams, I went through all of the Linux Academy videos/courses as well but not for LPIC-2, 117-201. Now off to the next exam of this series to complete LPIC-2 certification. I’ll probably take it sometime in February. I’ll start a new thread for that exam. Thank you guys.
  • masqmasq Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, man, GJ. icon_cat.gif
    2018:
    • RHCE
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jassimark wrote: »
    I have scheduled this exam on Monday, December 28th, by the end of this month. I have been studying the LPIC-2 Study Guide, Sybex for the past couple of months, doing all the exercises/labs on my CentOS-7 system, going over all the additional content on the CD (Flashcards, Chapter Quizzes, Practice Exam). Is there anything else I need to cover to pass this exam? I haven't seen much information about this exam on this forum who passed it. Any pointers regarding this exam would be appreciated. I want to hear from all the members who passed/failed this exam. Thanks.

Wait you used the 2011 edition LPIC-2 book to pass the 2015 exam?
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    Wait you used the 2011 edition LPIC-2 book to pass the 2015 exam?

Unfortunately, it's the most recent LPIC-2 book. I think someone else here was saying that it's about 80% complete, but they also changed the order so some stuff in the book is shown as exam 1, is actually now on exam 2 and vice versa.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    Yup, that's the only Study Guide I used for this exam, even though it's 2011 Edition. The only exam objective that was missing from this Study Guide was "Capacity Planning". So I just went through all the man pages for all the commands covered under this objective listed on the LPI website. I'm gonna use the same Study Guide to prepare for the next 117-202 exam. Hopefully it covers most of the objectives. I haven't checked it out yet.

• varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Congratulations! I am so happy for you!
    Yeah, when it comes to study guides, you can't just rely on them for everything you'd need at the exam. Man pages to the rescue to fill in the gaps.
    Look at these 100% correct sections! Well done!
    P.S. LPIC-2 course on Linnux Academy is work in progress but I doubt it will be finished by the time you take the exam. It is just sitting there for months.
    Thanks masq & varelg...

varelg, you are right...when I discontinued my membership from Linux Academy, I believe they only had partial LPIC-2 201 course, and didn't have anything on 202 Exam. But they did have great Red Hat Certification preparation courses, that I'm planning to go after I complete LPIC-2 certification. I'll probably renew my LA membership then. I just went over all the objectives for 202 Exam, and they are all covered in the LPIC-2 Study Guide. Awesome...
  • Hawk321Hawk321 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wondering that the LPIC-2 exam is still not updated.
    201 wants some kernel 2.x and 3.x and init-v stuff, in my opinion it is outdated.
    Degree in
    computer science, focus on IT-Security.
    CCNA R+S and CCNA CyberOPS
    LPIC-1,LPIC-2,LPIC-3: Security
    Ubiquiti: UBRSS+UBRSA
    some other certs...