Beginning studying for 210-260

AMD4EVERAMD4EVER Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm ready to get started on my journey towards the 210-260 certification. I'm not a network engineer but try to be a jack of all trades so I'd like to become more knowledgeable in networking. I know it is going to take a lot of hard work over the coming months and want to make sure I make good use of my time so any suggestions from the TechExams community on my study plans would be appreciated.

Below is my plan for how I'm going to study:

Step 0: Read through the CCNA Security exam topics
Step 1: OCG book
Step 2: Chris Bryant videos
Step 3: CBT Nugget videos
Step 4: GNS3vault.com labs & Packet Tracer labs

I'll be using Packet Tracer 6.2 through this entire process.

One thing I'd like to start out with is a good basic study guide. That would help to quickly familiarize me with important topics.

I can't wait to get started and look forward to conversing with the community here!

Comments

• ericjohnson22ericjohnson22 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI

I am just starting studying for the 210-269 also.
    I started with CBTNuggets and the OCG.

I think I like the books and videos for CCNA R&S better but they seem ok so far. The one thing I am worried about is labbing. I don not have a ASA or packet tracer to use so it might make it tough. I have read that GNS3 can do ASA but not very well.

Good Luck!
  • AMD4EVERAMD4EVER Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Eric, I did a Google search for Packet Tracer 6.2 and I think it was the second or third link that I clicked on that had a link to the download. I also found links to labs pretty easily as well. I've only briefly looked at the software but was pleasantly surprised to see an ASA 5505 as an option for a device to add to the network. This wasn't available a couple years back when I was doing my CCNA.
  • ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the CCNA Security Lab Manual: Version 2 (Lab Companion) worth getting?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CCNA-Security-Lab-Manual-Companion/dp/1587133504
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I passed the 640-544 on November 30th, I used the CCNA Security Lab Manual 1.2. It has comprehensive labs. So yes, I say it's worth getting. Do both the CLI and GUI labs.
    I ordered the lab manual yesterday. I also have the Cisco OCG and both 210-260 and 640-554 CBT Nuggets series.
  • Lion66sixLion66six Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Archon wrote: »
    I also have the Cisco OCG and both 210-260 and 640-554 CBT Nuggets series.

One thing to notice about the 210-260 CBT Nuggets series, is that the videos give you other videos to watch, including a few from other courses on CBTNuggets. So you might look at it and notice that the video series is 7 hours long, but with the extra homework needed for it, you are looking at about 30 hours of video tutorials.
    I have only watched the first 4 or 5 but Wireshark and Linux pen testing video series have been recommended so far.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I am watching the new series on CBTnuggets, and they recommend going back and watching specific videos from the old series.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    11.5 hrs of videos in the first series. I do like the artwork in the new version though.
    jdancer wrote: »
    When I passed the 640-544 on November 30th, I used the CCNA Security Lab Manual 1.2. It has comprehensive labs. So yes, I say it's worth getting. Do both the CLI and GUI labs.

the manual just tells you what to do right? It doesn't include an actual virtual lab right? Did you use real equipment? or GNS3?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    the manual just tells you what to do right? It doesn't include an actual virtual lab right? Did you use real equipment? or GNS3?

I would guess that is correct. Probably just lays out requirements and steps and you configure your lab with something like Packet Tracer or GNS3 from there

Yes, I used real equipment via NETLAB Cisco pods. It's definitely not Packet Tracer, if that is what you are asking.

If you don't have access to NETLAB, GNS3 works as well. Used GNS3 three years ago to pass CCNA Security 640-544. NETLAB is way more convenient than GNS3.
    NETLAB is part of the official Cisco training? Like super expensive? I'm looking for the cheap stuff
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    NETLAB is part of the official Cisco training? Like super expensive? I'm looking for the cheap stuff

I have NETLAB access through my community college. Don't even know if they sell rack time. More info at https://www.netdevgroup.com/content/cnap/
  • iwannaknowITiwannaknowIT Member Posts: 111
    You might want to verify, but my last recollection was that Packet Tracer won't support a lot of the security functions that you need to master. (No SSH support, for example) and I ended up using GNS3 exclusive.It also didn't support CCP and ASAs the last time I checked...
    You might want to verify, but my last recollection was that Packet Tracer won't support a lot of the security functions that you need to master. (No SSH support, for example) and I ended up using GNS3 exclusive.It also didn't support CCP and ASAs the last time I checked...

I was able to setup a certificate as well as SSH in Packet Tracer as well as ASAs and CCP I don't believe is on the test but I am also finding that I can't do all of the necessary functions. GNS3 is definitely something that I'll be looking at more when I start doing actual labs.
    i found using an ASA in GNS3 to be quite the chore
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark