failed twice

tctechtctech Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
This test is frustrating the crap out of me. I've been using Skillsoft online training, MEasureUP practice Exams, I have online access to the MS Training Kit book but just ordered the paper copy because I'd rather study with a hard copy.

I found my weak spots from the first test and 'fixed' myself. So naturally I improved in that area. But then on the second exam I did worse in other areas! It's just frustrating. I have one exam to go for my MCSA.

So now I need to wait the 14 day period and re-take. I heard some people mentioning Virtual Server? How do they get that software? I do have a spare PC at home setup with 2k3 server that I play with but I'm not sure if it's enough.

My second exam contained GPO changes for SUS clients. Which I haven't seen in any training or reading. I looked it up on technet and now know what to do. Actually, I feel I'm stuck with my studying material now and can only learn by taking the exam and remembering a few questions so i can look them up with i get home.

I don't know what to say... I passed the 290 and 270 with ease. Then this one really slaps me in the face. I don't get it. I guess I'm just venting. I really don't have any questions... I just don't know what to do now.

I do know that I'll be taking it again Sept. 30th. I refuse to not achieve this cert. I'm no quitter.

OH, I also bought the ExamCram2 guide but it's really not that helpful.

Also... I scored a 617 on both. What are the odds of that?
“I learned there are troubles of more than one kind, some come from ahead, and some come from behind…. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

Comments

• !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    Hello !

Maybe I can help you with a few thing's.First I saw ( I took ) 70-291 , and is a really tricky exam.Why ? Why so many people fail to pass it.
    It's simple : The exam has few question's ( I had 40 ) and like 3-4 sim's ( which are , I think ,heigh counted ).
    The sims are very tricky , many to configure ( like SUS thing's ) and if you miss you loose a lot of point's.
    The question's are very tricky altough , I saw this , remaining surpise geting such a score ( 742 ) , I tiugh I 'll take more.

What to do ? Try and repeat and understand and ask your weak points , and be sure not going there not ready and with idea of failing again.

Good luck ! icon_wink.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • justin42279justin42279 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sorry to hear about your test man but keep going.

when I failed 291 the first time, I downloaded virtual pc 2005 from microsofts site and downloaded an evaluation copy of win2k3 to form a home lab. You can also use a program called vmware. Just make sure your computer has aleast a gig of ram. Each host you create and run will use a piece of it.

If you have a win2k3 machine, you can download and install WSUS to give yourself some experience with SUS. WSUS and SUS interfaces are differnet, WSUS being the newest software, but most of the settings are the same within both programs and the GPO is the same.

Good luck
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Training material didn't have the GPOs to configure the client for SUS? Then how did it explain how to configure clients to use SUS? Or did it even cover SUS?
  • justin42279justin42279 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    when i tested, i used the microsoft offical course ware and it didn't make a mention of SUS settings. so much for official. haha

luckly, i use WSUS at work.
  • tctechtctech Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I knew how to implement SUS and setup a GPO by words but not by 'doing'. It dealt with finding the clients GPO and modifying the 'which update server to use' value.

There are two boxes you need to enter the server name into...

i didn't know the format to enter

But as far as knowing of the procedure and talking the talk, I have no problem. I just couldn't walk it. I'm upset that my training hasn't forced my to walk that path at some point or another. All the sus training i have was just configuring the server itself. Not client GPO settigns and adjustments.
    “I learned there are troubles of more than one kind, some come from ahead, and some come from behind…. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss
  • ThePenTThePenT Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the format your speaking of shoulda been set as:

http://serverxx for both
    ya, i looked it up on technet when i got home.... but i never read that info anywhere....

does anyone have the 291 ms training kit book? where is this info in that book?
  • elove_jmelove_jm Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tctech wrote:
    This test is frustrating the crap out of me. I've been using Skillsoft online training, MEasureUP practice Exams, I have online access to the MS Training Kit book but just ordered the paper copy because I'd rather study with a hard copy.

I found my weak spots from the first test and 'fixed' myself. So naturally I improved in that area. But then on the second exam I did worse in other areas! It's just frustrating. I have one exam to go for my MCSA.

So now I need to wait the 14 day period and re-take. I heard some people mentioning Virtual Server? How do they get that software? I do have a spare PC at home setup with 2k3 server that I play with but I'm not sure if it's enough.

My second exam contained GPO changes for SUS clients. Which I haven't seen in any training or reading. I looked it up on technet and now know what to do. Actually, I feel I'm stuck with my studying material now and can only learn by taking the exam and remembering a few questions so i can look them up with i get home.

I don't know what to say... I passed the 290 and 270 with ease. Then this one really slaps me in the face. I don't get it. I guess I'm just venting. I really don't have any questions... I just don't know what to do now.

I do know that I'll be taking it again Sept. 30th. I refuse to not achieve this cert. I'm no quitter.

OH, I also bought the ExamCram2 guide but it's really not that helpful.

Also... I scored a 617 on both. What are the odds of that?

SkillSoft?

i'm sorry man but they are the worst study platform for someone to actually use to prepare for cert exams.

signed up with em two years ago (two year contract) and regretted every bit of it, since then i decided to invest my cash into CBT nuggets and so far it has turned out to be one of the best product to prepare for cert exams.

srry about your frustrations man keep going at it (prob a few CBT Nuggets learning could better prepare you for these exams along with ms press books)

well good luck next time man! cheers
    thanks for the advice on Skillsoft. The company i work for gave me skillsoft services for free. I will look into CB Nuggets though.

thanks alot
  • fredefrede Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also failed twice, and felt EXACTLY the way you do. I was nearly in tears when I failed the 2nd, and the increase in stress level doubled with each failure. However, I refused to listen to anyone who told me to take a few days to clear my head. I failed the 2nd exam 1 day before I was to leave for a week long long family vacation. I had no choice but to take a break - no choice, cause my wife would have KILLED me if I studied on vacation. The stress level was much lower when I returned, and I passed the third time.

I can tell by the tone of your post that YOU WILL PASS, but maybe you need to take a little break. Your tone also seems to indicate high stress levels. I know it's a hard thing to do, but force yourself to take a complete break from the study.

I got to the point where this exam consumed my thoughts and my dreams. Near the end I could not even sleep. I could be wrong, but it seems you need to TAKE A BREAK!

My other advice is (after you get back from your much needed break icon_lol.gif ) go in strong in every section. Don't think that because you did well on DHCP one time that you will do well the next. Study EVERY section like you failed it on the last exam. This may go against the grain regarding advice, but I say that because I got 100% right on DHCP the 1st and 50% the 2nd exam. I am fairly sure that getting 50% on DHCP got me the 2nd failure.

Hope this helps.

Fred
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    SkillSoft?

i'm sorry man but they are the worst study platform for someone to actually use to prepare for cert exams.

signed up with em two years ago (two year contract) and regretted every bit of it, since then i decided to invest my cash into CBT Nuggets and so far it has turned out to be one of the best product to prepare for cert exams.

I agree entirely!!!!!!!! icon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gif

Skillsoft is one of the worst CBT providers there is IMO! My firm signed a 2 year contract with them and I find them AWFUL!! CBT Nuggets on the other hand are excellent but I still feel a good book and virtual machines help to compliment your studies.

Keep your chin up and don't despair... you'll pass!
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Another good source of training is TestOut, which is very similar to CBT Nuggets. The real difference is that TestOut features hands-on labwork as well as videos, both of the instructor lecturing and of him working through each topic on his computer screen.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My second exam contained GPO changes for SUS clients. Which I haven't seen in any training or reading. I looked it up on technet and now know what to do.

For each topic covered on which you feel a little shaky, you should do exactly as you did above.

I go a step further. I have a virtual lab (I actually use VMWare server, Virtual Server 2005 will work too) with a domain controller and two other virtual machines that might run a member server, xp workstation, or whatever I need it to be at the time. For each objective for which I need more work, I actually implement it in my lab per the speficications in the whitepapers on Technet and take a look at all of the features and scenarios. If you want to walk the walk, this would be a good exercise for you.

Study guides are great, but implementing the stuff contained in the study guides helps you to understand much better and better prepares you for the real world.

Good luck next time
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...