2nd time lucky 7/12/2015 (don’t give up)

KillerkingsKillerkings Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All

First thing first, I would like to thanks everyone that has contributed to this fantastic forum, not just for CISSP but also other exams.

A little on my background, I have been doing IT support for a number of years (14 years), and for the last 2.5 years I have work in a dedicated IS role for my current company.

To show gratitude (to my manager) and commitment (to myself and to the IS profession) I took my Security + and passed

My advice, as well as others in this forum, is book your exam! Have something to work towards. I know it’s an expensive exam as I had failed my first attempt with a score of 629. But this will help you focus on the task ahead.

On the 2nd attempt I used the following
  • Sybex CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide, 7th Edition (after reading the Security + book by Darril Gibson and passing the exam first time, I had to buy this book. Well worth every penny, cent, rupee etc)
  • CCCure 1 month pass
  • Sybex bonus questions (online)
  • Eleventh Hour CISSP: Study Guide
  • Google and YouTube
  • Questions only from AIO book
I started reading the book about 3 months before the exam; I learnt from my first attempt that if I started the reading too early I would lose concentration towards the end. I would take around 1.5 weeks to go thought each chapter including the question after each one. (Some chapters where quicker as I knew the domain from my work experience)

During my journey into work I would read Eleventh Hour CISSP: Study Guide over and over again, it’s an easy book to hold and drills home some of the key facts you need know. (If anyone lives in London and has to take the underground into work you will know what I mean)

During the last 2 weeks, I did a number of exams from CCCure (100 questions at a time), this again was helping me to focus and also made sure that I understand the core concepts. Don’t be alarmed if you don’t get all the questions right, I didn’t, but would get an average of between 65 – 80% right, the ones I got wrong I would find the topic in the book/internet or YouTube and work out where I went wrong.

I also did the entire exam practices question from the Sybex bonus questions online, these are excellent exams

3 days before the exam I was reading and doing exam questions for the total of 5 hours per day.
The day before I went out and also took my family out for dinner.

On the day, I got to the test center about 1 hour early, went to the local coffee shop and sat and skim read the eleventh hour book, or as much as I could

By 7:45 I was in the exam center getting myself ready to sit the exam at 8am.

I spent around 5 hours in total on the exam. I flag loads of questions to review at the end. I took around 3 breaks, one after 100 questions and then every time I was staring at the screen for too long. Breaks were no longer than 10 minutes.

Spent around 1 hour going thought all the flagged questions. I would say I changed around 2% of my original answers.

I would say that the exam is based on a technical manager’s point of view, if you are super technical think “what would my manager do” that’s what I did.

Good luck to anyone who is like me, failed the previous attempt(s) and thinking about sitting the exam again.
All I can say is do it…!!!!!!

When you come out after you have the letter with the word “pass” you will feel on top of the world.

I have just sent my signed endorsement form off today, just waiting to getting the result. Email said around 8 weeks.

Comments

• CLICKCLICK Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing and well done on the PASS.. you can now enjoy the fruits of your labor :) cheers
  • havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great write up and advice... Congrats on the pass!
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations on the pass!!!
  • g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Devi PrasadDevi Prasad Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations... I am new to CISSP but have 12+ years of Network and security experience; started reading Sybex (ISC2) 7th edition now.

I hope i am on right track, thanks a lot for sharing your experience
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • KillerkingsKillerkings Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its a great book. I liked the fact it was broken down by chapters instead of domains. It will help you focus on the domain/chapters that you need to work on. good luck
  • rajpoot296rajpoot296 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome story! Way to stick with it and conquer. I imagine the feeling is great!

Congratulations,
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP