Will this cert help in moving into project management?

capwapcapwap Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I recently applied for a project management position, although I have no direct project management experience. I'm confident I could learn what I need to do the job as I go, but I'm curious if this certification would help convey that sentiment to a potential employer.

Comments

• techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It won't hurt but it won't guarantee a project manager role. Most project manager's I've spoken to don't notice it. I think it's a good first step on the way to the PMP and gives you knowledge to impress during interviews. Unfortunately the PMP requires experience or education. I think I read somewhere that if you complete the Project+ in higher education (for example WGU) you'll be approved for the PMP.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • capwapcapwap Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    It won't hurt but it won't guarantee a project manager role. Most project manager's I've spoken to don't notice it. I think it's a good first step on the way to the PMP and gives you knowledge to impress during interviews. Unfortunately the PMP requires experience or education. I think I read somewhere that if you complete the Project+ in higher education (for example WGU) you'll be approved for the PMP.

Thanks for the response. The fact that it may help in interviews is definitely something. I know nothing about the PMP.

I suppose I just need to decide if it's worth spending $300 on, or if that $300 can be put to better use elsewhere.
    Like all comptia certs except the A+ and Security+ the knowledge is great but the cert isn't really marketable. If you really want to be a PM, I'd suggest getting the Project+ in higher education so you can get the PMP without experience. Companies love PMP. Make sure you can take this route beforehand.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    techfiend wrote: »
    Like all comptia certs except the A+ and Security+ the knowledge is great but the cert isn't really marketable. If you really want to be a PM, I'd suggest getting the Project+ in higher education so you can get the PMP without experience. Companies love PMP. Make sure you can take this route beforehand.

Well, I don't see myself ever going back to school in that regard. I might consider taking a single class at a university if it focuses on Project+ and offers the accreditation for PMP that you're talking about. But a full degree program, definitely not.
  • MCP2000MCP2000 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You may want to try the CAPM (Certified Associate in Project Management) first as it can be a gateway to the PMP.

https://www.pmi.org/certification/certified-associate-project-management-capm.aspx

Prerequisites
    • Secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree or the global equivalent)
    • 1,500 hours of project experience
    or
    • 23 hours of project management education completed by the time you sit for the exam
    MCP2000 wrote: »
    You may want to try the CAPM (Certified Associate in Project Management) first as it can be a gateway to the PMP.

I was looking at the PMP requirements earlier this morning. Their site is rather vague about what they consider "project management education" and how the hours are counted. Generally if you took a 3 credit hour university course, you'd have about 70-75 classroom hours. If there are specialty courses designed for this, I haven't found them yet, but I'll look more into it. But as soon as I see a four digit price tag, I'll be scratching it off as a big nope.
    I think it was the CAPM that WGU's Project+ course qualified for. The PMP requires 4500+ hours of PM experience and 35 hours of education with a bachelors. I can understand not wanting to go for another BS if you already have one. If you know you want to be a PM you're going to have to get education in somewhere. My next step would be to check with PMI to see if self-studying and passing Project+ is enough to meet CAPM to save some money. CAPM is much more recognized then Project+ and should be your entry level target cert.