Options

New Horizons Computer Learning Centers

lildee804lildee804 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
anybody been here? I'm thinking about taking the A+ course. need advice

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    These courses can be expensive compared to self study. They are generally pretty good if someone else is paying, and you do the exam very close to the end of the course.

Is money or speed an issue? What's your IT background?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    lildee804lildee804 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have 0 exp this is a career change for me. Money is kinda issue i found another school much cheaper but NH claims to have job placements.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i have used NH when work paid for it. For that it is fine, I would never recommend that out of your own pocket.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, don't do it. The training was subpar and too expensive.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    lildee804 wrote: »
    I have 0 exp this is a career change for me. Money is kinda issue i found another school much cheaper but NH claims to have job placements.

If money is an issue, then don't. You can buy a lot of books and videos for the same money. Even online training courses will be better cheaper. For A+, it is mostly around desktop and mobile devices, so if you have your own computer and smart phone, you have all the hardware you will need to be able to study for A+. The certification has recently been updated with new exams (the 900 series), and new books are "coming soon" (January).

The Professor Messer website already has free A+ videos covering the new series. This website is a good place for free videos. Usually, they work best in combination with a book, and hands on. It's the kind of thing you can watch and rewatch when you are sick of reading or eating or whatever. There are other free resources.

If you want a classroom environment, then consider a community college that has at least Cisco Network Academy status. There is a Cisco basic IT skills course which parallels A+ quite closely. If you do an associates, you will also get networking and some server training. That will put you in a much better position. For that kind of thing, classroom hands on is usually an easier way to get in, than to set up a home lab with everything you need.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    GardokiGardoki Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Piggybacking off of his original post, I have no experience and am looking for a career change. One thing I have seen and been told is to count lab experience on a resume so I was hoping to do some of that. I could use the experience and another learning tool because I don't teach myself from a book very well. Are the online labs through Messer useful? Is there somewhere I should be using for that?