CASP vs CAP

EJMADELINEEJMADELINE Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Looking for any advice on which one to take two-three weeks from now. I have free training through FedVTE and will order a book if needed. I currently have SSCP and Security +. I'm studying for CISSP, but a job opportunity recently came up and I need something soon that meets the Level II IAM requirement for the 8570. Any suggestions???

Comments

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What is your background? If you don't have a background in C&A and working with RMF you have no shot. Typically (ISC)2 exams are harder but I have heard the CASP isn't "easy". Shouldn't you have 6 months to attain if you are selected...
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would do the CASP, it will auto renew your Sec+
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think CASP will help prepare you for CISSP more than CAP. CAP is the A&A/RMF process and I would say is only valuable to gov't positions where the CASP applies more widely; however, given that you said you need the cert for IAM-II compliance both would meet that goal. I'd opt for CASP
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • EJMADELINEEJMADELINE Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    What is your background? If you don't have a background in C&A and working with RMF you have no shot. Typically (ISC)2 exams are harder but I have heard the CASP isn't "easy". Shouldn't you have 6 months to attain if you are selected...

I've been working with DoD information systems for a little over five years. The past two years I've more involved with the C&A process and have attended training for RMF and my current job is heavily based off of the JSIG. I would definitely have the time, but I plan to have my CISSP by then if all goes well. It's more of a personal goal to feel like I don't owe anyone anything if I were selected.
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do CASP if you're working in any government related jobs. The CASP is valued higher than CAP in terms of abilities on the network. CASP isn't "easy" by any means, you need to have a very good working knowledge of Linux systems as well (at the command line). FEDVTE does a decent job of prepping you, but you need to do some studying into Linux if you haven't already.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    advanex1 wrote: »
    Do CASP if you're working in any government related jobs. The CASP is valued higher than CAP in terms of abilities on the network. CASP isn't "easy" by any means, you need to have a very good working knowledge of Linux systems as well (at the command line). FEDVTE does a decent job of prepping you, but you need to do some studying into Linux if you haven't already.
    There is a good chance if it's an IAM II, it's not a super technical position. It all depends because if the job is involved with producing C&A or hands on, a CASP won't be as useful than a CAP in the former.
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've seen both, I work closely (he sits next to me) with our IA guy. He has his CAP, CASP, and CISSP. He suggests the CASP over the CAP. If you haven't taken the CASP, it does require hands on and working knowledge of the systems.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go CASP over CAP- slightly better ROI. I currently work in a C&A shop and have seen multiple CAP failures from my co-workers. Plus CASP covers IAT III.
  • EJMADELINEEJMADELINE Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, guys. I've decided to go with the CASP. I'm going to use FedVTE and the Cybrary course. I'll probably pick up a book as well. I figure two months should be enough time to adequately prepare for the exam. I'll probably do CAP in the future since the job I'm in, and looking at, is heavily involved in RMF.