GSEC Exam

Infosec LadyInfosec Lady Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good day all and Merry Christmas.

I'm seeking your advice for GSEC exam, I have my exam within 2 days and I'm worried about.

I have 2 years of experience in InfoSec, I have attended the class, I studied the books, and built the index.

I feel the course contain lots of information where I cannot focus on everything.

I read lot of Threads here in regards the exam, can anyone advise me as I really wanted to pass.

thanks,

Comments

• Infosec LadyInfosec Lady Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    can anyone assist me please
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Have you taken practice exams yet? How are you scoring? What are your weak domains? I passed the GSEC with an 88 earlier this year, the area that killed my score and dropped me below the 90s was the Linux area as I was fairly useless when it comes to Linux. The practice exams mirror the real exam in how the questions are asked/formatted/difficulty in my opinion. Also I feel with 2 years of experience, you should be comfortable already with a good portion of the GSEC material.

The good thing about the GSEC exam compared to some of the others is that you can look up a lot of the answers. As for the speed of being able to look them up, that's all dependent on how good your index is, and how fast you can flip pages.

I modeled my index based on this How to Guide for making a SANS / GIAC Index with Pictures | Digital Forensics Tips and it served me well.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree, be sure you take practice exams as this will help you know if your indexes are sufficient.
    i think there is supplement guide, I think on TCP. Be sure and take with you.
    i supplemented their material with a Linux and Windows book.
    get to know testing center staff and location.
    one, go at less peak testing time. You will be able to spread out better.
    make sure testing center is not cubbie hole.
    i went to one with small cubbie and there was zero space to write on piece of paper. To write, I had to move keyboard. It was horrible experience.
    for GSEC, I go to testing center that just uses long tables. There is already some space between testers, but nice to go when low volume testing since I can spread out just a little bit to have open book on each side of keyboard. And place to stack other books and move books as necessary.

good luck!!!
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    You will be able to spread out better. make sure testing center is not cubbie hole.

When i took my test, it was at a place that also teaches computers. The testing room was old beat up desks on PC computers, but there was only one computer per desk, lots and lots of space to spread out my books, it was great.

twodogs62 wrote: »
    To write, I had to move keyboard. It was horrible experience.

Er write what? Your not allowed a pen for the GIAC exams, you can bring all the printed material you can carry, but your not allow to write anything down.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • wwjd1004wwjd1004 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good day all and Merry Christmas.

I'm seeking your advice for GSEC exam, I have my exam within 2 days and I'm worried about.

I have 2 years of experience in InfoSec, I have attended the class, I studied the books, and built the index.

I feel the course contain lots of information where I cannot focus on everything.

I read lot of Threads here in regards the exam, can anyone advise me as I really wanted to pass.

thanks,

I agree with JoJo, the key is your index. I spent as much time on my index as I spent on a typical book. I knew my index well enough to tell you which book contained a given topic. For each entry, I used the third column to highlight a decent portion of the details. I would say that mine was very excessive. My goal was to obtain the answer from my index, so I didn't have to open the books.
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How did the exam go?
  • Infosec LadyInfosec Lady Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the exam, but unfortunately I did not pass ended up with 68% icon_sad.gif

planning to retake the exam this month again.
  • hr1stovhr1stov Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the exam, but unfortunately I did not pass ended up with 68% icon_sad.gif

planning to retake the exam this month again.

How did your practice test scores compare to the 68% ?

I am sure you will do better the second time around.