Options

Passed - First Attempt - Dec/22/2015

diabolusBRdiabolusBR Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Work experience:
Have been WORKING with IT for about 16 years. (I'm 33 and yes, I started at 17)
Of those, 12 are dedicated to Security (the rest would be programming). My security experience includes, risk assessments, BCP/DRP, Governance, Audits, Pentests and Network Security.

Study time: 20 straight days, 6-10hours a day (was on vacation).
I did read Conrad's Study Guide on December 2014 but haven't studied or read anything CISSP specific since then.

Resources I used:
- Sybex Official Study Guide 7th Ed.
- Conrad's Study Guide
- Conrad's 11th Hour
- Cybrary Videos
- McGraw-Hill's mp3 audios
- Some portions of Larry Gleenblatt's videos on YT.
- Test banks from the books Sybex, Elsevier and McGraw-Hill
- Flash Cards from the Sybex books
- Flash Cards from the ISC2
- Some questions from CCCure

Personal opinion on resources:
By far the best resource I found was Kelly's Cybrary Videos. Unfortunately they are missing A LOT of content. Some very important. I would have paid a premium for a complete video set from her.

The best book for factual information is Conrad's Study Guide.

The best book to study for the test is the Sybex :)

Did not like the CCCure questions. They were overly technical, they were inconsistent and focused TOO MUCH on things that didn't matter. The only way I could use this was selecting a few subtopics and even so I would still get questions for something that was outside that subtopic. Only did about 300 questions from them. (Disclaimer: I intend no disrespect for Clement. He is an amazing professional and CCCure has been an invaluable source for information through my career. The Quizzes just need a little love. A rating system would help a lot since they are mostly submitted by other users and maintenance schedules for removing the lower rated one from the database)

Sybex' Test Bank and Flash Cards were the best in my opinion.

PS: Whenever I sat down for quizzes, I always did a set of 250 questions.

The test:

Took the whole 6 hours. The time goes faster than you'd imagine.

Took a LOT of time on first pass (about 4 hours), marked about 60 questions (all the ones I wasn't completely sure). Made sure I understood the question completely.

Second pass was only on the marked questions. Aaaand my time was over.

The best tip I can give you is whenever you're studying learn the process overall but pay attention to the words "best" and "most" on the books.

I had a HUGE downside, I'm used to those computer lenseless glasses that are just to avoid eye strain. I use them whenever I'm in front a computer. But the test center did not let me use them. I have no idea if it was a reverse placebo effect but halfway through the test I couldn't look at the screen anymore and I had a headache. This is one of the main reasons I took so long on the first pass.

After the first pass, I took a 10 min break with water, eyes closed and food. This helped enough for the second pass. Changed some answers (maybe 15 out of the ~60)

Comments

• Options
    pskroyalpskroyal Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    if you don't mind, is there a possibility for you to highlight the missing topics in Cybrary videos we need to focus for the exam?
    Thanks!

diabolusBR wrote: »
    Work experience:
    Have been WORKING with IT for about 16 years. (I'm 33 and yes, I started at 17)
    Of those, 12 are dedicated to Security (the rest would be programming). My security experience includes, risk assessments, BCP/DRP, Governance, Audits, Pentests and Network Security.

Study time: 20 straight days, 6-10hours a day (was on vacation).
    I did read Conrad's Study Guide on December 2014 but haven't studied or read anything CISSP specific since then.

Resources I used:
    - Sybex Official Study Guide 7th Ed.
    - Conrad's Study Guide
    - Conrad's 11th Hour
    - Cybrary Videos
    - McGraw-Hill's mp3 audios
    - Some portions of Larry Gleenblatt's videos on YT.
    - Test banks from the books Sybex, Elsevier and McGraw-Hill
    - Flash Cards from the Sybex books
    - Flash Cards from the ISC2
    - Some questions from CCCure

Personal opinion on resources:
    By far the best resource I found was Kelly's Cybrary Videos. Unfortunately they are missing A LOT of content. Some very important. I would have paid a premium for a complete video set from her.

Did not like the CCCure questions. They were overly technical, they were inconsistent and focused TOO MUCH on things that didn't matter. The only way I could use this was selecting a few subtopics and even so I would still get questions for something that was outside that subtopic. Only did about 300 questions from them. (Disclaimer: I intend no disrespect for Clement. He is an amazing professional and CCCure has been an invaluable source for information through my career. The Quizzes just need a little love. A rating system would help a lot since they are mostly submitted by other users and maintenance schedules for removing the lower rated one from the database)

Sybex' Test Bank and Flash Cards were the best in my opinion.

PS: Whenever I sat down for quizzes, I always did a set of 250 questions.

The test:

Took the whole 6 hours. The time goes faster than you'd imagine.

Took a LOT of time on first pass (about 4 hours), marked about 60 questions (all the ones I wasn't completely sure). Made sure I understood the question completely.

Second pass was only on the marked questions. Aaaand my time was over.

The best tip I can give you is whenever you're studying learn the process overall but pay attention to the words "best" and "most" on the books.

I had a HUGE downside, I'm used to those computer lenseless glasses that are just to avoid eye strain. I use them whenever I'm in front a computer. But the test center did not let me use them. I have no idea if it was a reverse placebo effect but halfway through the test I couldn't look at the screen anymore and I had a headache. This is one of the main reasons I took so long on the first pass.

After the first pass, I took a 10 min break with water, eyes closed and food. This helped enough for the second pass. Changed some answers (maybe 15 out of the ~60)
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    pskroyal wrote: »
    if you don't mind, is there a possibility for you to highlight the missing topics in Cybrary videos we need to focus for the exam?
    Thanks!

She does a great job in reviewing stuff, but overall she just glides through stuff, she barely focus on specific things.

Get her slides, you'll see there is a lot she doesn't even talk about during the videos or even have videos about.

Some stuff that really stood out that was missing was: Enterprise Architecture Frameworks, Development Models & SDLC, History of Cryptography, IPSEC, etc.
  • Options
    Sohaib_aSohaib_a Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You would need to complement the Cybrary videos with a study guide. I used Eric Conrad's guide.
    But the videos are a great way to start off and get familiar with the study material.
    I remember the SDLC models were completely missing.But her explanation of some topics make it very easy to understand , like kerberos and PKI for example.
  • Options
    Sohaib_a wrote: »
    You would need to complement the Cybrary videos with a study guide. I used Eric Conrad's guide.
    But the videos are a great way to start off and get familiar with the study material.
    I remember the SDLC models were completely missing.But her explanation of some topics make it very easy to understand , like kerberos and PKI for example.

Yeap, but like I said, even though there are no videos on these topics, her slides/presentations had them all. Have no idea why the respective videos weren't uploaded.

You can even see on some of her "review" videos (usually the last video on the domain) that she talks as she covered these topics.
  • Options
    lwhite81lwhite81 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. Appreciate the detailed write up!
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    diabolusBR wrote: »
    By far the best resource I found was Kelly's Cybrary Videos.

I agree, loved Kelly's videos and the Sybex book.

Congrats!!