Prepping for the June 2016 CISM Exam

fullcrowmoonfullcrowmoon Member Posts: 172
I've got the official review book and the official database for 2015. Here's my plan of attack:

1. Read the review book, skimming the sections that I already covered while getting my CISSP, and focusing on the things that are newer to me. Finish this by January 31, 2016. Notes, notes, notes!

2. Begin testing myself with the database, making sure to do a specific number of questions per week. Any suggestions from people here about what would be a good number for prepping? This would be February 2016 through May 2016.

3. Consider taking a boot camp the week before the June 11, 2016 test. I'll have to decide about this by the end of March or so.

I intend to use only the official database and review book. Are there any other resources I should be utilizing?

icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
"It's so stimulating being your hat!"
"... but everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked."

Comments

• dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have all the resources you need. Hit the DB Q&A hard and aim at achieving ~80% and you will do just fine on the test. Good luck
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My usual recommendation is to read the guide once or twice & make a 10-ish page outline you can review from time to time. Otherwise the Q&A is key for exam prep. I don't see a bootcamp as giving you any more value than hitting the Q&A hard.
  • fullcrowmoonfullcrowmoon Member Posts: 172
    Both good ideas, thank you.
  • LollyBagginsLollyBaggins Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I'm planning to take the same course of action as you are. Mind linking me the official database you're referring to? Is it on Amazon (where I got my review manual), or their website?

Cheers!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I'm in for June 2016 as well. This is now my fourth attempt at trying to study and actually being able to take the exam. I have had to keep rescheduling it. I still have my 2015 Review Manual and will be picking up the online question DB in the spring.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I may take a look at a December 2016 or June 2017 attempt. I've pushed this off for a number of years due to other certifications and requirements.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
    Hi,

I'm planning to take the same course of action as you are. Mind linking me the official database you're referring to? Is it on Amazon (where I got my review manual), or their website?

Cheers!

I'm talking about the official database that you can buy from ISACA. I have the CD version which gives you scores for each domain and overall.
    down77 wrote: »
    I may take a look at a December 2016 or June 2017 attempt. I've pushed this off for a number of years due to other certifications and requirements.

I've pushed it off as well. My original date was December 2015, but then work hit me and I wasn't able to prepare the way I wanted to. Stupid work.
  • junaid375junaid375 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed the September 2015 exam with a low score. I dint get time to study at all.
    I have good knowledge of first 3 domains since I work in IT Risk area and I have Dev/QA experience. It was reflected in my exam score, I scored really low in Incident Management domain.
    I bought the questions database from ISACA and went through it once (around 50 questions). I understood that you need to know the concepts (ISACA's concept) really well. I have learned IT GRC etc through ISACA resources in past few years. Hence I scored well in first 2-3 domains.
    In CISM exam there will be a lot of questions that can have multiple right answers. You will be tested for knowing ISACA's way (and their guidelines).
    So make sure you understand what ISACA is trying to teach you in CISM Manual. How they want you to manage a security incident. Where they want you to have security design review during SDLC etc. Thats the key to pass this exam.
    junaid375 wrote: »
    I passed the September 2015 exam with a low score. I dint get time to study at all.
    I have good knowledge of first 3 domains since I work in IT Risk area and I have Dev/QA experience. It was reflected in my exam score, I scored really low in Incident Management domain.
    I bought the questions database from ISACA and went through it once (around 50 questions). I understood that you need to know the concepts (ISACA's concept) really well. I have learned IT GRC etc through ISACA resources in past few years. Hence I scored well in first 2-3 domains.
    In CISM exam there will be a lot of questions that can have multiple right answers. You will be tested for knowing ISACA's way (and their guidelines).
    So make sure you understand what ISACA is trying to teach you in CISM Manual. How they want you to manage a security incident. Where they want you to have security design review during SDLC etc. Thats the key to pass this exam.

Thank you!
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My concern is when does the CISM 2016 manual come out and is the 2015 version compatible with this exam.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • andhowandhow Member Posts: 151
    I highly doubt that there will be significant changes between the 2015 and 2016 material or exam. Keep in mind, other companies also put out exam books and they do not refresh them annually. I suspect that ISACA makes some revenue off the exam books so it is in their best interest to keep publishing updates.
  • razorbackzrazorbackz Member Posts: 28 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the megmind online review class.
  • extext Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Juned,

Thanks for the tips. I am looking for the 2015 or 2016 Review Manual. Do you have one for sale?
  • extext Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am looking for the 2015 or 2016 Review Manual and Database. Do you have one for sale?