My Linux Goals

benipet83benipet83 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would like to start my path in the LINUX. The reason of my choice, because as self-study I learn the C programming
language, and this OS is the closest, where I can use my skill.

My Linux goal has more parts:
1. Linux System Administration with Linux exams
2. Linux Programming (scripting, and in C)
3. Linux on Embedded Systems

This parts where I would like to develop my skills. And this is a long path.

My question should be:
1. What I need to reach to get an entry-level job?
2. Any suggest for entry-level positions?

If anyone would like to join to learn together, I would appreciate it.
Thank's for any help and advice!

Comments

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    My experience with Linux jobs is that they aren't too heavy on certification requirements, but love experience with particular technologies. The best place to start is to look at job listings, since the specific depend a bit on the local job market.

I'm not sure what entry level Linux looks like, since most positions still seem to like lots of experience/knowledge of different systems. It's not quite like the usual enterprise Windows situation where you can start on helpdesk and work your way up. There are lower level technician/operator type roles where you are doing basic admin, builds, some monitoring. There are also quite a few places running mixed environments, but how much hands on with Linux you'd get in one of those places is variable.

A junior Linux Administrator role might expect a level of knowledge similar to RHCSA or LPIC-2. Very often they like familiarity with particular distributions and tools. Scripting is also usually on these lists, with multiple scripting languages preferred - python/bash/perl/ruby are probably the most common.

Familiarity with LAMP stack is very useful - Apache, MySQL/MariaDB, PHP. Other web servers are good to have to, like nginx and Java stuff like Tomcat.

The other common themes are management tools - chef, puppet etc, monitoring tools - nagios, zabbix, etc, backup tools, virtualisation and cloud.

As I said, Linux jobs don't tend to ask often for certifications, and are usually more flexible about how you demonstrate your competency - ie if you can show that you do what they want, you have a good chance. With some real effort, you could probably develop to RHCE level within 6 months from where you are now. Add on a bit of scripting, and some of those other tools I mentioned, and you could possibly get a junior role.

For studying to this goal, the go to resource is LinuxAcademy.com Certifications that you could take, at least ones likely to be worthwhile, are Linux+/LPIC-1, RHCSA -> RHCE and Puppet certification. The LPIC path can also be useful depending on the market you are in. Virtualisation with VMware is probably also a good thing to put in the mix, along with AWS.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • benipet83benipet83 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank's, for your suggestion, it was very useful.
    Although I planned to study scripting languages, such as bash, python or ruby. First time I would like to be get familiarity the basics of system programming and administration tools.
  • DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating