Passed the new 312-50 CEH 12 25 2015

GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
I passed the new CEH 312-50 exam (Post Oct 15, 2015 version) today on my first attempt. It took almost 4 hours to complete. For security reasons I’ll just say I scored really close to 75%. I studied for this exam for about 3 months. Originally I was ready to take it at the end of October but then I read all of the horror stories on techexams. In addition to that my graduate mentor told me 90% of people who attempted
the exam after October 15 – November 1st, 2015 had failed. For more guidance I went to the CEH course mentor at WGU and was also told that only 2 people had passed in a certain week during November. Needless to say, I started doubting myself big time.

Ok now to the exam:
This exam was not an easy exam at all. If you do not have the V9 material and you are a noob, I do not recommend you take this.
Comparatively, I’d say it was 5 to 6 times harder than the CHFI version 8 exam. It was about two to three times harder than Linux+ and VMware VCP 5.5 exams.
Some people *cough* *cough* will say the new CEH (After Oct 15, 2015) is not significantly different than the previous CEH version 8 exam. That’s total bullshit. The exam is quite a bit different.
I will just say what I found very useful:
-Official CEH v8 Books by EC-Council
-Official CEH v9 reading PDFs by EC-Council
-Official CEH V8 ilabs by EC-Council
-Official CEH V9 ilabs by EC-Council
-Google Advanced Operators
-In-depth knowledge of Shellshock, Heartbleed, Poodle, ALE, ARO, SLE, Risk Management Framework. I suggest Wiki or Google and literally write it down and work out some problems.
-EC-Council’s Practice tests
-Shravansoft’s Certified Ethical Hacker **** Sheet
Conclusion:
I strongly recommend the CEH V9 labs and the CEH V9 reading material. Sure it’s filled with spelling and grammar errors, but right now it seems to be the most aligned with the current exam. Be on the lookout for the use of synonyms.
If you use v8 material, you will absolutely have to use google for supplemental learning as I’d say the new exam aligns with maybe 70-80% of the v8 material tops. It’s a bit risky if you go this route.

Comments

• Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks for the review.
  • cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • webtech31webtech31 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats GreaterNinja, and thanks for putting up this review.

As I have put in another thread, I have passed CEH last week as well and totally concur with your statements:
    - If you study only with v8-related material and do not have previous experience in pentest activity, you will most likely fail, even by a small margin.
    Additional research is mandatory to acquire knowledge on latest security topics that have been included in the v9 material (you have listed them).
    - Just memorizing the major slides or the practices tests or braindumps won't help you pass the exam.
    The nature of questions (scenario-based) requires you to really understand what you are reading and not just regurgitate. This makes the current exam significantly "harder" than the previous CEH versions and I believe this is why we see so many complaints.

Best to all,
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Reserved for Response (after I take a nap).
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • amrazamraz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have registered CEH V8 exam back in august but did not able to get prepare it. But now I am planning to give exam.
    Please can you guide and help me out? I mean should i prepare both v8 and v9 materials and ****??
    and also please van you guide me from where i get all the v8 and v9 exam ****?
    Thanks a lot for your help !!!
    I have registered CEH V8 exam back in august but did not able to get prepare it. But now I am planning to give exam.
    Please can you guide and help me out? I mean should i prepare both v8 and v9 materials and ****??
    Thanks a lot for your help !!!
    Thanks a lot for your help !!!!!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ****? Really? Know your audience.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□