Screen

***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Installed? What distro didn't have one of the treasures of linux installed by default?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RHEL/CentOS with Minimal Installation :) ?
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like screen and has come in useful when using disown/nohup causes issue with a script.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • masqmasq Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally prefer tmux to screen. They're both similar though
    2018:
    • RHCE
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess I can see screen not being that useful on servers but it's really a necessity when dealing with multiple interactive shell programs in the same session.

Nice to see tmux is still around, it was very fresh and not very usable the last time I really worked with linux, pretty dusty! It looks like it's come a long ways.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a habit in running all my terminal sessions in Screen. If I am running a process or task, I don't have to worry about losing the work I did or restart it because it will continue the process even if I loose my SSH connection.
  • XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    We don't install it on servers at my location. I just use disown and it meets my needs.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use terminator much easier than screen or tmux
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a big fan of terminator (or iterm2 on Mac) but I don't necessarily need to sit there and watch a command complete so screen is useful.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity