Options

Help: Question about Port Security

alu408alu408 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello i am new to this forum, i hope i am in the right place. So basically i am learning about mac address and port security. I am watching a lab and i notice that the other person mac address is dynamic while mines is static for my ethernet adapter.The other person is using their usb adapter and creating their own ip address which mine is just set to obtain on itself. however on my ethernet adapter that part i created my own. Shouldnt my ethernet adapter be dynamic since i changed the LAN settings by using the following IP Address that i created which was 192.168.1.10 subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. In the console i did SW<config-if>#do show mac address-table and it shows all my things being static, but on the lab the other person has their usb adapter as dynamic. This is on port Fa 0/8 where my ethernet cable is connected from the desktop computer to the switch. I tried switching it around and setting up my usb adapter which i can create an ip address, than using the ethernet adapter from the computer to just static obtain its own ip address and i check the mac address table and it still shows the same. What i was trying to do in this lab was to disconnect my wireless usb since i configured the ethernet adapter mac address to be the only one for that port 0/8 and not the usb adapter. however it does not shutdown. But i got that far.

Comments

• Options
    I may add would i have to personally choose to find instructions on how to change from static to dynamic or it should automatically pop up when i look at it in the mac address table.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your post is a bit confusing, but I think you are confusing MAC addresses and IP addresses. Your MAC address isn't going to change for a particular device - this is a hardware address. Then you are talking about assigning an IP address on a physical port on the switch (static), and an IP address for an actual client machine (dynamic / DHCP). I'd first verify your terminology of MAC address vs IP address, which will then help your understanding of port security and how that works.

https://askleo.com/whats_the_difference_between_a_mac_address_and_an_ip_address/
  • Options
    5ekurity wrote: »
    Your post is a bit confusing, but I think you are confusing MAC addresses and IP addresses. Your MAC address isn't going to change for a particular device - this is a hardware address. Then you are talking about assigning an IP address on a physical port on the switch (static), and an IP address for an actual client machine (dynamic / DHCP). I'd first verify your terminology of MAC address vs IP address, which will then help your understanding of port security and how that works.

https://askleo.com/whats_the_difference_between_a_mac_address_and_an_ip_address/

Okay so my problem was the ip address. Basically i went into my Wireless USB adapter and tried to set an ip address that is similar to my router 10.0.1.1. So i created an ip which was like 10.0.1.30. Than subnet mask 255.255.255.0 with my default gateway entered. It would not give me a connection and disconnects my internet.
  • Options
    I also want to rephrase the question so what i meant was i set 1 mac address to work for the port security.