I'm in the club, Finally passed LX0-103/104

DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
icon_cheers.gif First I must say that I procrastinated like crazy. I ordered the Sybex book about this time last year and it pretty much took my the entire year to read it. I stopped and started more than once and at some point stopped all together and started studying for Network+ (did the same thing with that also). I set a few dates, let it lapse, set dates again, let them lapse, until finally I decided that if I didn't have a hard goal that I wasn't going to get anywhere. So right before Halloween I ordered an early expiring discount voucher to give me a hard date to focus on (NOV 30). I read the fist half of the book, skipped around the lessons on Linux Academy (mainly focused on things that I had questions about) watched the Linux+ course on Cybrary.IT and did the Linux+ skillport classes. I passed the 103 with a 680 on Nov 24th. I then turned around and did the same thing again, Purchased another voucher with an expiration of Dec 31 and started the same process all over again and today I'm happy to say that I passed the 104 with a 700.

I especially want to thank everyone who has shared their experiences good & bad on TechExams. I didn't mention it at first but reading through various threads helped me gain confidence that I could succeed. My biggest problem is that I'm a scatter brain and have the focus of a child (I'm sure there are some children with better focus) But reading threads helped me put things in perspective and also showed me how much time I was wasting. Many times I would see posts about someone just starting to study for the cert, then later see posts of them passing the exams and moving on. My goal is to do better this year and continue finding inspiration from everyone here.
2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating

Comments

• bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Awesome,

It seems like the material you used was perfectly viable for the exam. Do you recommend the Cybrary videos? I am taking it in a few months part of school and want to get an idea of how I should prepare.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Cybrary videos really only give you a high level overview. The biggest help for me I would say was Linux Academy even though I didn't finish either course yet icon_redface.gif . Even if you run Linux systems at home the ease that you can set up labs on Linux Academy can't be beat. If you are going to take it in a few months I would start there. You can set up a study plan and a schedule based on your time and goals. I initially set my schedule for an hour-a-day but eventually moved to skipping around based on areas I had questions or topics I was unfamiliar with when reading the book. Actually working through the concepts helped me to understand what I was reading. Historically for me certification books are nothing more than sleep aids but visually seeing things and working through commands helped a lot. I would also add in the William Shots book ( I followed the free version online but also ordered the physical)
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! Good luck on your future endeavors wishing you the best in the new year. If you ever have any questions or need help feel free to message me. icon_thumright.gif

This community is inspiring and I hope it continues to help you succeed!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
    Thank you all very much, this forum was a big part of taking and passing the exam.

greg9891 a Steelers Fan in the Bahamas, we truly are everywhere icon_cheers.gif
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DntH8Me
    Congratulations on your pass. I'm looking to take Linux certifications by the end of this year and would like to know how much time did you take to pass the exam (breaks excluded of course) Also, if you have any other nuggets of information about Linux Academy because I'm thinking about joining.
    Thanks
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
    mzx380 wrote: »
    DntH8Me
    Congratulations on your pass. I'm looking to take Linux certifications by the end of this year and would like to know how much time did you take to pass the exam (breaks excluded of course) Also, if you have any other nuggets of information about Linux Academy because I'm thinking about joining.
    Thanks

When I got serious about actually taking it and stopped 'thinking about taking it' I took about a month for each exam. Linux Academy is helpful for not just the exam itself but also for learning in general. The instruction is really logical and touches on all parts of each exam. I wouldn't use it as my only source but combined with the Sybex book it is a very good resource for the exam and beyond.
  • steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    Congrats on passing!
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Finally is better than not at all. Job well done
  • lovejoilovejoi Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    did you use any dummped?
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    DntH8Me wrote: »
    The Cybrary videos really only give you a high level overview.

I haven't used them for Linux, but I did use Cybrary for the CASP after hearing rave reviews on this board, and I also say it is only high level. Certainly not enough for me to pass the CASP. I figure I will skip it for Linux or only use it as a starter
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark