Options

ASA in packet tracer

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, i was wondering if the ASA in packet tracer is useful or a waste of time? Considering you cant do any routing protocols on it, there's no IP helper command on it etc..

Basically i have a topology where i have 3 sites, all communicating using frame relay with the router as the edge device and the ASA connected to the devices on the inside of the network etc... I was wondering if it is possible for me to do VPN's or any kind of communication on it considering routing cannot be done on it?

Is it worth me just using GNS3 for it all?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AMD4EVERAMD4EVER Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't tried ASA in Packet Tracer yet but I see that it is in there. But, by the sound of it GNS3 is much better. Might as well just use that if it is an option. I haven't used that software before in the past so I'm not sure what is involved in getting it working
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Robbo777 wrote: »
    Hi, i was wondering if the ASA in packet tracer is useful or a waste of time? Considering you cant do any routing protocols on it, there's no IP helper command on it etc..

Basically i have a topology where i have 3 sites, all communicating using frame relay with the router as the edge device and the ASA connected to the devices on the inside of the network etc... I was wondering if it is possible for me to do VPN's or any kind of communication on it considering routing cannot be done on it?

Is it worth me just using GNS3 for it all?

Thanks

Packet tracer is very useful in the ASA. I count on it all the time and use it for troubleshooting.

What are you trying to accomplish with it? The ASA does do routing, but it depends on what you are trying to achieve.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    I've not used the ASA's in Packet Tracer, however I would recommend setting ASA's up in GNS3 as Packet Tracer is merely a simulator and GNS3 is more an emulator. Even better it may be worth trying to get your hands on an ASA itself.. I have been seeing the 5505 model selling for fairly cheap on Ebay!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]