Options

CCIE Security "Update"

JobeneJobene Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
Looks like cisco has updated the CCIE - Security Written ( like iristheangel said )

BUT....

Look at Point 5.3...

"5.3 Cisco Intrusion Prevention Systems [IPS]" What is with FirePower etc?
Also there is no content for the Lab?(!) Did they just updated the written?

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Yup. You should definitely expect the lab to change given how old it is but you'll get an update and usually 6 months to test on the old lab :)

That being said and as tempted as I am by the CCIE Security, I'm sitting on my hands and not going to do it until they update that damn lab. I don't want to spend 6-8 months learning some dinosaur IPS or fiddling with ISE 1.1. I'm not far down the road or anything on the CCIE Security either so for the guys working on this, I totally understand why you guys don't want to waste the time you invested in it and will continue down the old blueprint. I was the same way with my CCIE DC.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Yes but they updated the Written now, means that for the next month there will be no firepower or so on it?!
    I mean what sense would it make to update the written now (even without firepower) and change the lab in 6 months or so and put in the new stuff while you were tested on the old.....

In my opion cisco is making some mistakes..... they want to get deeper in security but the certifications for it still su*k.

@ iris: btw nice blog! =)
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ASA's with firepower aren't a direct replacement/solution for ISRs with IOS IPS, at least not in a lot of installations. I'd guess 5.3 is for IOS IPS on ISRs, while 5.1.f woud cover firepower (or at least, could, as MPF does hand off traffic to the Firepower module,w hen applicable, and 5.1.f does say MPF/IPS). Regardless, a bad time to be starting CCIE:Security studies, unless you can finish quick. Just like starting CCIE:DC studies, as Iris mentioned.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    All of the writtens are getting updated with an evolving technologies section. As far as the Firepower part being on the written, that's fine for now. If you look at other tracks, there are topics in the written that aren't in the lab as well. I think it's more their way to tiptoe into version 5 because if they're updating the written anyways, it makes sense to slip in the current IPS solution they are positioning in the market place.

If I had my way, v5 would come out tomorrow and I could beastmode it but it wouldn't be fair to the folks out there that have been preparing for the lab for 1+ year.

Thanks for the compliment on the blog :) You have noooooo idea how much more content I have to write out. I did like 300+ pages of security guides over Thanksgiving and translating them to blog-format means adding a LOT more detail than just the instruction. I'm working on putting the 4th guide to blog right now and it's already the 15th post. I've given up on my goal of getting it all done this week...
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    @joel:

No Ios IPS is clearly ->5.4 Cisco IOS IPS =\

I am doing so much researchwork in the next-generation security area for my essay
    and it is not in the security track by now

I realy hope that cisco get the a** up and get the security track back!
    Because their solutions are nice and a good way ....