New membership fee for certified members?

chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
Now being a certified member is no longer free: $80/yr. Is it in US$?

Comments

• colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    In my currency, it is 0. As in nope.

(either USD or Malaysia currency; depends on where they are claiming as the business location at the moment)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Don't quite get it.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The email they sent out references USD. Those $80 will let you be part of an elite group of professionals at EC Council, entity that the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation in Malaysia named EC-Council as the Cyber Security Company of the year, 2015. That's gotta be worth something, right?

The bigger question is, Are those 80 bucks buying me v8 or v9 CPEs? LOL!!!
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    chopsticks wrote: »
    Don't quite get it.

I will pay $0 or 0 any other currency. Not a penny more! The agreement when I took the test, did not require AMFs. (annual maintenance fees.)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    I login to the portal and found this:

What are the When will members be expected to make their first payment?

Scenario 1
    Members certified prior to January 1st 2016 will not be charged a membership fee for their current cycle, The membership fee cycle will be only begin once they are recertified and their due date will be at the end of that annual cycle.

Scenario 2
    Members certified from January 1st 2016 and onwards will start their membership fee cycle 1 month from date of certification earned and their due date will be at the end of that annual cycle.
    Eg: A member certified on February 25th 2016 will have to pay his annual membership fee before March 25th 2017.

Scenario 3
    Members that are certified prior to January 1st 2016 but earns a new certification post December 31st 2015 – their membership fee due date will be reset as per the latest earned certificate. (as per scenario 2)

What is the Membership Fee?

For certified members who hold certifications that require continuing education, the annual membership fee is USD $80 for all certifications with prefix 212 ,312,412, 512 and all CAST certifications (with the exceptions of the C|CISO and LPT credentials).

For certified members who do not hold certifications that require continuing education, the annual membership fee is USD $20 for all certifications with prefix 112

What mode of payment is accepted?

Membership fees can only be paid via credit card
    Note: Online bank transfers are not accepted at this point of time.

I have more than one EC-Council certification; do I need to pay per certification?

Membership fees are charged by membership and not by number of certifications held; you will only need to pay a single membership fee.

• IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I knew this was coming when I sat for the exam in March. Looks like most certifications require yearly fees. Cissp 85, security+ 49 etc...

I assume the fee is due on anniversary date? Does any one know?
    I guessing it's in USD since the exam fees are in USD. Sucks for me being a Canadian and the dollar hurting so bad recently looks like I'll be owing $111 Canadian.... Yikes.

"We understand that the certification maintenance fee may be burdensome to some of our members. To offset the cost of certification maintenance, we have devised a plan to provide direct value to you, our certification holder. For the year 2016, we are proud to announce that Any member certified or recertified from January 1st 2016 onwards and continues chooses to keep their certification active will be eligible to receive one free ONE FREE certification exam voucher upon completion of their latest ECE cycle, with values ranging from USD $125 to USD $650. If the member redeems this voucher, and takes the exam and pass, they will not need to worry about accumulating your required 120 CPE points for the next 3 years!"

ECE cycle I assume is 3 years for CEH.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    That's gotta be worth something, right?

It has to be! I mean, it just must.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I login to the portal and found this:

Scenario 1
    Members certified prior to January 1st 2016 will not be charged a membership fee for their current cycle, The membership fee cycle will be only begin once they are recertified and their due date will be at the end of that annual cycle.

Scenario 2
    Members certified from January 1st 2016 and onwards will start their membership fee cycle 1 month from date of certification earned and their due date will be at the end of that annual cycle.
    Eg: A member certified on February 25th 2016 will have to pay his annual membership fee before March 25th 2017.

Scenario 3
    Members that are certified prior to January 1st 2016 but earns a new certification post December 31st 2015 – their membership fee due date will be reset as per the latest earned certificate. (as per scenario 2)

Thanks good to know I have not logged into Aspen yet.

I got my CEH cert in March 2015.
    That makes me scenario 1.
    My 3 year cycle would then end March 2018 with my first annual payment due March 2019.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I got that email last night along with an email letting me know that both my CEH and CFHI are about to expire in February and I need to log some CPEs in ASAP. LoL... I actually thought they already expired but that doesn't change anything for me. I'm not a pen tester and I barely remember anything from studying that test so I really see no use in maintaining it.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Useless cert for me... Zero dollars I pay.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Letting mine expire soon, don't care. Last time I logged into the site I found typos and broken links, reduced my confidence in the company which wasn't that high to begin with.
  • ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was iffy about trying to obtain CEH, with issues such as the less-than-smooth transitioning of exam ver.8 to ver.9 and among other things, but this change pretty much convinced me to stay away from EC-Council.

EC-Council, See ya!
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□

Scenario 1

Scenario 2

Scenario 3
    Members that are certified prior to January 1st 2016 but earns a new certification post December31st 2015 – their membership fee due date will be reset as per the latest earned certificate. (as per scenario 2)

Since I am certified in 2015 (Scenario 1), there is no membership fee until I am recertified in 2018. :)
    And I should avoid earning new ECC's certification to avoid Scenario 3.icon_rolleyes.gif
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I got my certs in 2014 and since you only have to pay one fee regardless of how many certs you have, I MAY keep them as the CEH still gets hits in HR. We'll see.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Mike7 wrote: »
    Since I am certified in 2015 (Scenario 1), there is no membership fee until I am recertified in 2018. :)
    And I should avoid earning new ECC's certification to avoid Scenario 3.icon_rolleyes.gif

Same thought here.
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I got my certs in 2014 and since you only have to pay one fee regardless of how many certs you have, I MAY keep them as the CEH still gets hits in HR. We'll see.

That's only membership if one is certified or re certified. The 3-year validity period still applies and certified holders still need to accumulate enough credits in the ECE cycle within the 3 years for certification extension, or else a re-certification is needed.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    @chopsticks: Oh yea CPEs are never an issue with me with all of the studying and stuff that I work on. I just know I wouldn't pay a dime for the CHFI as it's completely worthless. And from what I read on ASPEN, their ECE point system looks pretty liberal.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Sch1smSch1sm Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought this tweet about it was pretty funny icon_lol.gifhttps://twitter.com/leighhall/status/682483116716507136

Thankfully I don't think I need to pay the fee but it's another reason for people not to go through with achieving this certification
  • webtech31webtech31 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here's an excerpt of the e-mail that was sent to all aspen members

===
    Holding a certification from EC-Council comes with many benefits and advantages but comes at an immense cost of maintenance to EC-Council. To continue to provide these benefits and elevate the value of EC-Council Certifications in the market, EC-Council has no choice but to implement a certification maintenance fee of $80.00 per annum.
    ===
    =
    Let's hope this new maintenance fee jackpot includes the recruitment of an significant amount of proofreaders to fix all the syntax and grammar errors we still continue to see in most official EC-Council materials (especially the official courseware, their communication e-mails, and the exam contents).

The persistent non-consideration of this topic by EC-Council is particularly disrespectful towards a professional audience.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2nd errors on website.
    now you pay for membership!
    where is value? Money grab?
    In their email, they stated currently there are 140,000 members. If each is willing to fork out US$80, it will be a hefty US$11.2 million income for them at the stoke of a pen! It's amazing!