Proposed CISSP Study Plan

EJMADELINEEJMADELINE Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was hoping the great minds on this forum could chime in about my proposed study plan for CISSP. I currently have Security + and SSCP, and I'm ready to buckle down for the big bear. I want to test in less than 90 days. That may be soon, but I'm an excellent test taker and I feel that I'll lose focus if I try to draw it out over six months. I know that this certification is on a whole other level compared to other certifications, but I know that for me 90 days is the best window. The materials I'll use are:

Skillsoft Training (Free through the University of Syracuse who is paying for the certification)
FedVTE Training
Cybrary Videos
Sybex Book
11th Hour
Sunflower PDF

Probably in that order as well. Any suggestions? Too little, too much? Any input will be appreciated!

Comments

• tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I studied SSCP by domain. Rather than read study guides cover to cover and videos first to last, I studied by domain. I found as many sources for each domain and followed the bullet points on the ISC2 SSCP site to ensure that I was familiar with every subject they listed. You can find the CISSP domains here: https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx

I was going to pursue CISSP next, but I decided to postpone it in favor of growing my technical expertise. When I do decide to get back into CISSP, I'm going to approach it in the same way.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That should be more than enough as far as study material. The exam itself isn't really a test taker's dream because it is much more than just "memorizing facts". I would recommend also possibly using a test simulator...Boson was good enough, or I believe the Sybex book comes with some practice questions although I never completed those (the flashcards were really good though). 90 days is doable but again it depends on your experience in each of the domains because the exam covers a lot. Did you do SSCP and or Security+ fairly recently? If you did, you are ahead of the game because that is usually a stepping stone for people.

Once you have studied for a while, look at peoples posts on passing results to pick up tips like taking breaks and creating a plan of attack.

**A sidenote: most of those resources are based on the 10 domain exam. I preferred studying that way because it made it easier to narrow down what domain(s) to focus on but realize there might be a few gaps that you need to cover with the Sybex book.**
  • havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would also recommend using the Quizlet app. (ISC)2 has uploaded their flashcards onto Quizlet's site and both the app and flash cards are...FREE!.

Also highly endorse the Sybex Book and Cybrary Videos. I downloaded her videos in MP3 and listened to them while I drove and during workouts on the treadmill. IMHO the Combined Notes are better than the Sunflower ones. Here's a link to the combined notes...
    http://www.techexams.net/attachments/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/5583d1406742120-passed-cissp-yesterday-cissp-combined-notes.pdf

Good luck!
  • EJMADELINEEJMADELINE Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    That should be more than enough as far as study material. The exam itself isn't really a test taker's dream because it is much more than just "memorizing facts". I would recommend also possibly using a test simulator...Boson was good enough, or I believe the Sybex book comes with some practice questions although I never completed those (the flashcards were really good though). 90 days is doable but again it depends on your experience in each of the domains because the exam covers a lot. Did you do SSCP and or Security+ fairly recently? If you did, you are ahead of the game because that is usually a stepping stone for people.

Once you have studied for a while, look at peoples posts on passing results to pick up tips like taking breaks and creating a plan of attack.

**A sidenote: most of those resources are based on the 10 domain exam. I preferred studying that way because it made it easier to narrow down what domain(s) to focus on but realize there might be a few gaps that you need to cover with the Sybex book.**

I did security + at the end at 2013 and SSCP last month. I thought both exams were very easy. However, I'm not a super "techy" guy. I've always had the "manager" mindset when approaching things. I do understand the technical side, but I guess I'm not the type of guy to really dive into it during my off time. I'm interested for the CISSP for that reason alone. Thankfully someone else is paying for the first try! I'm going to check out the Boson simulator. Originally, I planned to go for CASP or CAP. However, the end goal has always been CISSP and I'm tired of putting it off. Thanks for the input!
  • Sohaib_aSohaib_a Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The study material is sufficient , but also include a test engine.I used cccure (freepracticetests.org).
    But even transcender is good from what I have read in this forums.
    But it is very important to understand the concepts , it's positives and negatives rather than memorizing.
  • misthemisthe Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Could please someone explain me what are the differences between the below books.

- Official (ISC)² Study Guide (Sybex 7th edition)

- Official (ISC)² Guide to the CISSP CBK, Fourth Edition (Text Book)

I'm thinking to go with the study guide of Sybex as the comments are very positive instead of the text book, both are officials but what are the differences between them?
    I have already read S.H AIA 6th edition and know i think I'll need something more concentrate and compressed for the Exams.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    https://www.reddit.com/r/cissp/comments/3yoclh/my_name_is_erich_im_with_isc2_and_im_here_to_help/

That is from an employee of ISC2, he said they are more involved in the Sybex books now and they are closer to their standards. I'd stick with that.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good info from the Reddit link.

@misthe, the CISSP Study Guide is for exam preparation; it comes with 1.4K practice questions, flash cards and the lot.
    The CISSP CBK is more of a reference book; all words and references to other books or websites.

Still confused? Check the web link's books description.

Study Guide: "You'll prepare for the exam smarter and faster with Sybex thanks to expert content, real-world examples, advice on passing each section of the exam, access to the Sybex online interactive learning environment, and much more. Reinforce what you've learned with key topic exam essentials and chapter review questions."

CBK: "As part of the organization’s comprehensive education strategy and certifying body best practices, (ISC)² training materials do not teach directly to its credential examinations."
  • misthemisthe Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's clear to me now Thanks for the clarifications !!! and I think that your answer match with everyone on this forum, most people that recently passed the CISSP exam had as a primary book the Sybex. So i don't want to differentiate from this strategy :)
    One thing that angers me is that i spent almost three months reading all Shon Harris book as i late realized that her material is out of date icon_sad.gif

Anyway taking into account that now i will focus to Sybex, do you thing that i will have completed with the Exam study material and then i should focus on the prep tests ?
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sybex should be a quick read since you have read Shon Harris's AIO. The AIO is pre-2015, so it does not cover the new 2015 CISSP CBK areas.

To gauge your understanding of the 8 CISSP domains, you can do the chapter review questions first. If you are scoring close to 100% for a chapter, it means you have a good understanding of that domain. Focus your reading on chapters where you do not score as well. I took the old 10-domain CISSP exam, but I suspect less than 15% of the Sybex book is new 2015 material.

Then do the prep test, and read up on areas where you are weak in.

By the way, ISC2 members can purchase both books (physical not ebook) at 50% off. Ask a CISSP friend to help you. :)