My experience with Cisco's CCNA practice exam....

Todd1225Todd1225 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
All,
At the end of the Cisco Networking Academy program, you take 2 tests. One test to get a voucher from Cisco to take the test at half price, and one truly beast of a test they call the Cisco CCNA practice exam. Now, I can't post exact questions, but I'll try to shed some light on the topics covered.

Webmaster, If I overstepped my bounds, just delete some entries.

Expected to know:

1. The difference between a private/public address.

2. Identify different switching methods (store-forward, cut through)

3. Identify different layer PDU's

4. Characteristics of Vlans regarding broadcasts, trunking, etc

5. What "show" commands do what, or they will ask you, if you want check this and that, what command do you use.

6. Be able to tell the difference between a subnet and an address when given a particular subnet.

7. Be able to identify certain parts of the "show ip route" command.

8. Collision/Broadcast domain, be sure to be able to identify them
9. Characteristics of TCP, like being connection oriented, flow control, etc

10. Yes, you have seen setup mode, but what all can you do while there?

11. If you know how RIP/IGRP work, updating interval, etc, you will do fine.

12. ISDN, know the encapsulations, the standards, reference points, and groups. Know why it's better than dial up.

13. Frame Relay, how can you tell if it's up and running, how do you know if the problem is local or on the remote frame relay switch? As always make sure you know the encapsualtions and LMI types.

14. Know what layer of the OSI that certain applications, etc operate at and whether they use TCP/UDP for their transport protocol.

15. Basic network troublshooting, using ping,etc to determine where the failure is, remote, etc.

16. The link is down, is it the clockrate, is it the encapsulation?

I'll post some more when I remember. I think for the most part if you know the material really well, you should do fine. I've heard this practice was harder than the actual exam.

Now, I did feel some of the questions were a little detailed in nature, I didn't expect to know how to verify that PPP was in operation. I also didn't like that some of them were tricky either. There were a lot of "say you want to see this" questions, which 4 commands would you use, or alot of "pick 2, or pick 3" questions.
[/u][/b]
Todd Baugh
Aspiring Network Tech

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • rana_choudhurirana_choudhuri Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks a lot, to let us know what type of questions really come in CCNA.
    i have decided to sit for this test. All i need is support from you all. And i promise that i will give all of you a great treat if i get through. and special treat for our beloved WEBMASTER. you did a great job. We need you. :P
  • dagr8timdagr8tim Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Todd1225 wrote:
    All,
    At the end of the Cisco Networking Academy program, you take 2 tests. One test to get a voucher from Cisco to take the test at half price, and one truly beast of a test they call the Cisco CCNA practice exam. Now, I can't post exact questions, but I'll try to shed some light on the topics covered.

You didn't take the CCNA Practice Exam with flash? When I finsihed the 4th semester of Cisco afew weeks ago, there was a CCNA practice exam and CCNA practice exam with flash.

The questions were similar (and some of them where the same questions), but the flash exam had some matching. Examples (NOT QUESTIONS) were like matching ISO layers to what they do, matching protocols to what they do, or putting things in the proper order.

The matching questions were slightly similar to the matching questions found on www.cert21.com.
    There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and Unix. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
  • Todd1225Todd1225 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nope, no flash here. Just multiple choice all the way. This was about 3 months ago. I'm also getting the feeling that the practice exam is very, very similar to the actual exam.
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech
  • dagr8timdagr8tim Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Todd1225 wrote:
    Nope, no flash here. Just multiple choice all the way. This was about 3 months ago. I'm also getting the feeling that the practice exam is very, very similar to the actual exam.

I got the same impression when I finished the academy afew weeks ago. The voucher exam, the pracitice CCNA, and the practice CCNA with flash were all very very similar. They shared alot of the same questions.

However I heard the CCNA with flash was supposed to be modeled more after the new 640-801.
    There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and Unix. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.