Negative OSCP Reviews?

Sch1smSch1sm Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am starting the OSCP soon and have been very pleased to find that every blog or review I have read has been overwhelmingly positive. I don't doubt the sincerity of these reviews and have read a few negative posts about the course on this site (overwhelming amount of information, no real guidance on what to do) however I was wondering if there were any negative overall reviews that have been bloged/posted about? I'd like to read them in the interest of balance and to prepare myself for any shortcomings the course material may have.

Comments

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I didn't really see too many. My personal take on it is...the course materials are good to learn the BASICS of using a lot of the tools allowed for the exam. I would be comfortable with Kali prior to starting the course. Past the basics, you have to start finding exploits that work and possibly additional learning about some topics. If you compared it to a traditional certification like CCNA, there is a lot less structure and can make it hard to avoid drastically wrong paths. Perhaps that mimics the real world. If you don't plan on being a pentester I probably wouldn't go for it...the knowledge wouldn't have a high enough ROI outside of pentesting because it's the nitty gritty.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't read any negative reviews on it, but I would imagine that those who have written poorly about it probably didn't meet the requirements. Meaning, little to no Linux experience, not much experience with the command line etc.

Knowing how to transfer files from one host to another, how to navigate, how to check for open connections etc. These are things you should know.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only negatives review I read was in the forums and most of the part is the people who like to somebody take their hands through all the training and certification or those they thought they already got enough knowledge to pass it easy or those who understood "try easy"..... LOL
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I have to echo what the guys said. All semi-negative reviews I've seen circle around the fact that material is not spoon-fed to you and some serious homework to do. Even those InfoSec elitists who generally bash certs set this one apart, so they must be doing something right.
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    I've read negative reviews, but never from someone I'd trust to work hard for anything.

If you are obsessed with learning the skills, you'll find a way. The ones who've passed are the only ones I pay attention to when I looked into the course.

I've never seen a negative review from someone who has passed.

However, I've seen plenty of negative reviews about CEH and Sec+ from people who have them. That alone told me everything I needed to know.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Now if you are looking for the negatives parts to find out what you need every person who passed will always mention the part where they struggle and how they managed to cover it.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.